Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Can I use a new distro or should I get an older one?

FloydWingFloydWing Member Posts: 7
I have a Pentium 233mhz, 15Gig hard drive, and 64Meg of ram. It currently has Win98 installed on it. I want to dual boot it with either Mandrake or Red Hat.

My question is: Can I download and install the newest distro of those or do they require more horsepower and I should get an older version? I never can seem to find hardware requirements on Linux distros.

I'm looking to use this as a learning tool so I'd like to install as much as possible. I've got a spare 30GB hard drive if need be. I figure that running KDE or Gnome probably would be very slow. As much as I'd like to explore that aspect of Linux as well, I'd be content to be able to do everything else from the command line.

Can I still setup and run Apache and MySQL from the command line?

John

Comments

• korkor Member Posts: 198
    : I have a Pentium 233mhz, 15Gig hard drive, and 64Meg of ram. It currently has Win98 installed on it. I want to dual boot it with either Mandrake or Red Hat.
    :
    : My question is: Can I download and install the newest distro of those or do they require more horsepower and I should get an older version? I never can seem to find hardware requirements on Linux distros.
    :
    : I'm looking to use this as a learning tool so I'd like to install as much as possible. I've got a spare 30GB hard drive if need be. I figure that running KDE or Gnome probably would be very slow. As much as I'd like to explore that aspect of Linux as well, I'd be content to be able to do everything else from the command line.
    :
    : Can I still setup and run Apache and MySQL from the command line?
    :
    : John
    :
    :
    :
    I use a pentium 200 mmx, and, while it's freebsd, not linux, gnome runs fine. However, I prefer twm, as it's small and already installed with X.
    Also, the best linux distro I've seen is slackware, so you might look into that, too, and, since it's not commercial, it's cheaper and, from all I've heard, better than redhat or mandrake.