Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Categories

We have migrated to a new platform! Please note that you will need to reset your password to log in (your credentials are still in-tact though). Please contact lee@programmersheaven.com if you have questions.
Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

I want a good, very simple, fun and easy language to develop games on

I am not talking anything like new 3d games. I mean games like DOS games, but not DOS! Argh, this is very hard to explain. I had a bit of trouble trying to learn with QBASIC, some things I just did not get. I want a language that can produce good, clean graphics, and is very easy to use. Would something like Delphi qualify? I have know idea...

If you know what I am talking about, any suggestions?

Comments

• jim_giboneyjim_giboney Posts: 56Member
    Me again, trying to explain a little better...

I want to make cool, fun games. I want it to be easy, with nice graphics, wether it be 2d or 3d. I don't want DOS, or VB, or VC++.

Like I said I don't want VB or VC++, but I would like a GUI, although it isn't necessary.

I don't want just a game creating tool. I want a language/compiler that can make real programs, without getting to complicated (FOR A GUY LIKE ME!)

hope that's a better explanation, any help is appreciated!
    thanks guys!
    -Jim

• jim_giboneyjim_giboney Posts: 56Member
    SORRY, that's "TOO COMPLICATED" (typing error)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    : Me again, trying to explain a little better...
    :
    : I want to make cool, fun games. I want it to be easy, with nice graphics, wether it be 2d or 3d. I don't want DOS, or VB, or VC++.
    :
    : Like I said I don't want VB or VC++, but I would like a GUI, although it isn't necessary.
    :
    : I don't want just a game creating tool. I want a language/compiler that can make real programs, without getting to complicated (FOR A GUY LIKE ME!)
    :
    : hope that's a better explanation, any help is appreciated!
    : thanks guys!
    : -Jim
    :
    :

• NerdNerd Posts: 13Member
    Delphi is good and easy, at least I think so. So if you want to do fun, easy and small games and don't care about if it's quite unefficient way use Delphi. But you can forget the Delphi's own Tcanvas, TImage etc. If you want nice, smooth and flickerless animation use DelphiX components they're quite easy to use though quite unefficient = slow (The speed is more than enough for simple games). Or then use WinAPI functions (Bitblt, etc) but they are quite complicated at first.
  • ScriptStar2063ScriptStar2063 Posts: 65Member
    : SORRY, that's "TOO COMPLICATED" (typing error)
    : ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    : : Me again, trying to explain a little better...
    : :
    : : I want to make cool, fun games. I want it to be easy, with nice graphics, wether it be 2d or 3d. I don't want DOS, or VB, or VC++.
    : : Like I said I don't want VB or VC++, but I would like a GUI, although it isn't necessary.
    : : I don't want just a game creating tool. I want a language/compiler that can make real programs, without getting to complicated (FOR A GUY LIKE ME!)
    : : hope that's a better explanation, any help is appreciated!
    : : thanks guys!
    : : -Jim
    :
    :
    [blue]
    I would recommend that you get 3D Game Studio. You can create high quality games with graphics that can even match up to the Playstation 2. It comes with a level editor, model editor, and compiler. You use a very simple yet powerful language know as WDL(World Definition Language).

Here is the site for it:
    http://www.conitec.net/a4info.htm

-ScriptStar2063
    [/blue]
  • FarflameFarflame Posts: 4Member
    For me, nothing touches Blitz Basic. Very easy, incredibly fast and very flexible (it's a proper language). You can easily get hundreds of sprites flying around on-screen at 100fps. There's 3D version too, which is equally good, but I'm pretty sure the 2D version will be adequate for your needs. I love it, I just couldn't get to grips with the other languages.

There's a free demo at : www.blitzbasic.com
  • scoertzenscoertzen Posts: 9Member
    Hi there

I'm programming with visual basic and I'm creating a game with it in DirectX. Is fun and easy and it works. BUT ITS 2D. ;-(. Check it out:
    www.geocities.com/scoertzen/

my e-mail: 12806943@puknet.puk.ac.za

chow
    steve

: I am not talking anything like new 3d games. I mean games like DOS games, but not DOS! Argh, this is very hard to explain. I had a bit of trouble trying to learn with QBASIC, some things I just did not get. I want a language that can produce good, clean graphics, and is very easy to use. Would something like Delphi qualify? I have know idea...
    :
    : If you know what I am talking about, any suggestions?
    :

• kreitlerkreitler Posts: 218Member
    Hi Jim,
    There are lots of good language choices out there--and the "best" one depends on a combination of the kind of game you want to write and the number of people you'd like to play it.
    Since I don't know the answer to either of these questions in your case, take this with a big grain of salt: I'd recommend Java.
    There are several reasons for this: first, it's a full-blown language that's available for free. Second, you can get high-quality, professional tools for it...also for free (see www.netbeans.org, for example). Third, there are a lot of good tutorials out there. Fourth, you can use it whether you're working on a Linux box, a Windows machine, or a Mac running OSX (and all those people will be able to play your game, too).
    If you're interested, you can download Java 1.4.1 and an editor from this site (which also has a series of tutorials on getting started writing games in Java): www.sleepinggiantsoftware.com/FGJ.
    Whatever you decide, good luck.

Kreitle

• Fast EddieFast Eddie Posts: 3Member
    Hello Jim, the language your are looking for is Python
    go to Python.org and try the Pygame and check out visual python
    as well. It has a simple parser, you simply work on the code and
    hit F5 and see your change.
    Check out Alice as well. and SCI games.
    I hope this helps
    Ed

: Me again, trying to explain a little better...
    :
    : I want to make cool, fun games. I want it to be easy, with nice graphics, wether it be 2d or 3d. I don't want DOS, or VB, or VC++.
    :
    : Like I said I don't want VB or VC++, but I would like a GUI, although it isn't necessary.
    :
    : I don't want just a game creating tool. I want a language/compiler that can make real programs, without getting to complicated (FOR A GUY LIKE ME!)
    :
    : hope that's a better explanation, any help is appreciated!
    : thanks guys!
    : -Jim
    :
    :

• djph@katdjph@kat Posts: 19Member
    : I am not talking anything like new 3d games. I mean games like DOS games, but not DOS! Argh, this is very hard to explain. I had a bit of trouble trying to learn with QBASIC, some things I just did not get. I want a language that can produce good, clean graphics, and is very easy to use. Would something like Delphi qualify? I have know idea...
    :
    : If you know what I am talking about, any suggestions?
    :
    Sorry, but BASIC is one of the easiest languages. I'm currently learning PASCAL and C++ and take my word for it. Maybe you should try Visual BASIC (easier than QBASIC and better). One of your reply people recommended JAVA. JAVA is harder than BASIC so don't listen to that cracka' (Just kidding) unless you want to put your mind to work, in which case you could simply use Visual BASIC.
    if you're 555, then i'm 666

• Plystire6754Plystire6754 Posts: 76Member
    : : I am not talking anything like new 3d games. I mean games like DOS games, but not DOS! Argh, this is very hard to explain. I had a bit of trouble trying to learn with QBASIC, some things I just did not get. I want a language that can produce good, clean graphics, and is very easy to use. Would something like Delphi qualify? I have know idea...
    : : If you know what I am talking about, any suggestions?
    well yes BASIC is the easiest language.

but if you are looking for a language specifically designed for making games of clean quality, you might want to consider DarkBASIC. I used it fora while and if you can't handle pro-coding everything in other languages then this is for you.

head to http://www.darkbasic.co.uk/ to check it out. look in the showcase for what some games other people have made.
    hope this helps

~PlystirE~