ReadFile question - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

ReadFile question

I have a question about ReadFile.
I open a file with CreateFile and then i want to read either character by character or line by line. With the fopen i can read the file either with a fgetc or fgets function, does the windows api have something like that ? Or must i read one byte at a time and then reposition the file pointer with SetFilePointer ? This latter sounds more complicated than what i really need to do which read one line at a time. Many thanks.

Comments

• AsmGuru62AsmGuru62 Posts: 6,519Member
    : I have a question about ReadFile.
    : I open a file with CreateFile and then i want to read either character by character or line by line. With the fopen i can read the file either with a fgetc or fgets function, does the windows api have something like that ? Or must i read one byte at a time and then reposition the file pointer with SetFilePointer ? This latter sounds more complicated than what i really need to do which read one line at a time. Many thanks.
    :
    :
    [blue]You have a couple of options:

1. (EASY) Use [b]fopen()[/b], [b]fgets()[/b] in [b]Win32[/b], just like in other apps.

2. (HARDER) Code a class which encapsulates [b]CreateFile()[/b], [b]ReadFile()[/b] to use a buffer to read your lines into it.[/blue]
  • jtcoelhojtcoelho Posts: 44Member
    : : I have a question about ReadFile.
    : : I open a file with CreateFile and then i want to read either character by character or line by line. With the fopen i can read the file either with a fgetc or fgets function, does the windows api have something like that ? Or must i read one byte at a time and then reposition the file pointer with SetFilePointer ? This latter sounds more complicated than what i really need to do which read one line at a time. Many thanks.
    : :
    : [blue]You have a couple of options:
    :
    : 1. (EASY) Use [b]fopen()[/b], [b]fgets()[/b] in [b]Win32[/b], just like in other apps.
    :
    : 2. (HARDER) Code a class which encapsulates [b]CreateFile()[/b], [b]ReadFile()[/b] to use a buffer to read your lines into it.[/blue]
    :
    Okay, but i started the app using CreateFile to open the file and that's what i have used. I am not using C++, i guess i could, actually it
    would be fun to try, except that i have get this app out as soon as possible and i already started it using C only.
    I guess i could still use fopen although i had already opened it with CreateFile. My option for now is to
    just use the ReadFile, get a large buffer, since the line i need to read is not too far from the beginning of the file,
    and then parse the buffer with strtok and strstr functions. I was hoping that there was something in ReadFile
    that would let me read until the end of a line like fgets. Thanks for the suggestions.
  • jtcoelhojtcoelho Posts: 44Member
    : : I have a question about ReadFile.
    : : I open a file with CreateFile and then i want to read either character by character or line by line. With the fopen i can read the file either with a fgetc or fgets function, does the windows api have something like that ? Or must i read one byte at a time and then reposition the file pointer with SetFilePointer ? This latter sounds more complicated than what i really need to do which read one line at a time. Many thanks.
    : [blue]You have a couple of options:
    :
    : 1. (EASY) Use [b]fopen()[/b], [b]fgets()[/b] in [b]Win32[/b], just like in other apps.
    :
    : 2. (HARDER) Code a class which encapsulates [b]CreateFile()[/b], [b]ReadFile()[/b] to use a buffer to read your lines into it.[/blue]
    :
    Okay, but i started the app using CreateFile to open the file and that's what i have used. I am not using C++, i guess i could, actually it
    would be fun to try, except that i have get this app out as soon as possible and i already started it using C only.
    I guess i could still use fopen although i had already opened it with CreateFile. My option for now is to
    just use the ReadFile, get a large buffer, since the line i need to read is not too far from the beginning of the file,
    and then parse the buffer with strtok and strstr functions. I was hoping that there was something in ReadFile
    that would let me read until the end of a line like fgets. Thanks for the suggestions.
  • AsmGuru62AsmGuru62 Posts: 6,519Member
    [b][red]This message was edited by AsmGuru62 at 2003-1-20 8:4:35[/red][/b][hr]
    : : : I have a question about ReadFile.
    : : : I open a file with CreateFile and then i want to read either character by character or line by line. With the fopen i can read the file either with a fgetc or fgets function, does the windows api have something like that ? Or must i read one byte at a time and then reposition the file pointer with SetFilePointer ? This latter sounds more complicated than what i really need to do which read one line at a time. Many thanks.
    : : :
    : : :
    : : [blue]You have a couple of options:
    : : 1. (EASY) Use [b]fopen()[/b], [b]fgets()[/b] in [b]Win32[/b], just like in other apps.
    : : 2. (HARDER) Code a class which encapsulates [b]CreateFile()[/b], [b]ReadFile()[/b] to use a buffer to read your lines into it.[/blue]
    : Okay, but i started the app using CreateFile to open the file and that's what i have used. I am not using C++, i guess i could, actually it
    : would be fun to try, except that i have get this app out as soon as possible and i already started it using C only.
    : I guess i could still use fopen although i had already opened it with CreateFile. My option for now is to
    : just use the ReadFile, get a large buffer, since the line i need to read is not too far from the beginning of the file,
    : and then parse the buffer with strtok and strstr functions. I was hoping that there was something in ReadFile
    : that would let me read until the end of a line like fgets. Thanks for the suggestions.
    :
    [blue][b]ReadFile()[/b] will read data as binary (byte-by-byte) - it does not have the formatting option. If you want to read only one line and you know approx. offset of that line from the beginning of the file - then your larger buffer should work, but then your code will be not very flexible - if you need another line - you need to recode it again...

The better solution will be just code a class (or [b]struct[/b] if you do it in C) which uses the Win32 API, but reads text files line-by-line. I did it once - not very hard. Just allocate a buffer and read symbols from that buffer keeping a count of remaining bytes - if it goes down to zero - read more from a file.[/blue]