Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Installing Red Hat 8.0

koochmankoochman Member Posts: 4
Ok, I recently FTP'ed the Red Hat 8 ISO's right from Red Hat and then I check the ISO's w/ md5sum and all was ok. After I burn't them to cd I went to install on my second computer (which can boot from CD) and for some reason the pc will not boot from the first installation disc (It gets an invalid system disk).

I then thought that I would just make a boot disk and start the installation from there however when I try to start the installation I get this message:

Loading vmlinuz.................
Loading initrd.img...
Boot failed: Please change disks and hit a key to continue

Well I thought that the CD that I burned maybe had an error however I re-burnt it and the same thing happens.

Now I know that the CD-drive works because it had WIN98 on it until I deleted the partition and now the HDD has absolutely nothing ( not even a partition ).

Oh yeah, I have also used rawrite from the first install CD to create a boot disk as well as rawrite from the Red Hat FTP site.
Any suggestions?

Comments

• jeweljewel Member Posts: 52
    : Ok, I recently FTP'ed the Red Hat 8 ISO's right from Red Hat and then I check the ISO's w/ md5sum and all was ok. After I burn't them to cd I went to install on my second computer (which can boot from CD) and for some reason the pc will not boot from the first installation disc (It gets an invalid system disk).
    :
    : I then thought that I would just make a boot disk and start the installation from there however when I try to start the installation I get this message:
    :
    : Loading vmlinuz.................
    : Loading initrd.img...
    : Boot failed: Please change disks and hit a key to continue
    :
    : Well I thought that the CD that I burned maybe had an error however I re-burnt it and the same thing happens.
    :
    : Now I know that the CD-drive works because it had WIN98 on it until I deleted the partition and now the HDD has absolutely nothing ( not even a partition ).
    :
    : Oh yeah, I have also used rawrite from the first install CD to create a boot disk as well as rawrite from the Red Hat FTP site.
    : Any suggestions?
    :
    :

maybe your cdrom is getting rusty? or do you have "anti virus" enabled in your BIOS? (Know to cause certian problems during OS installations). To be honest, I don't know but try contacting redhat via. mailing lists etc?

-- Jewel