Virtual Keyboard - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Virtual Keyboard

TaipanTaipan Posts: 29Member
I am playing around with some virtual reality equipment, purely for a hobby. I want to make a virtual keyboard that I will be able to interact with. I think I know enough to handle most of the programming, but so far I have 2 parts of it that I am not sure about.

Firstly, the only parts of my program that I want to see are the keys, which will be command buttons. Is there a way to make the form transparent, just leaving the buttons visible?

Secondly I see a problem with the focus of my program, for example lets say I have the keyboard showing in the bottom half of the screen and I have a notepad on the top half of the screen. When I press a virtual key I want it to type into the notepad. I sort of want both programs to be in focus, anyone got any ideas on how I do this?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Comments

• AmalfimarAmalfimar Posts: 58Member
    For the transparency, I would use this:

http://www.Planet-Source-Code.com/vb/scripts/ShowCode.asp?txtCodeId=5248&lngWId=1

This will make the form transparent except the buttons, I haven't tested this one, I tested another one made by the same guy, and does the entire form transparent.
    For the other thing, you'll need to use something to configure the form in a "Always on top" mode, I don't know how to do this, just search for "visual basic always on top" or something related with zorder. I would recomend to test Setwindowspos API, to know how to use it, go and download the list of APIs at www.allapi.net. If that doesn't work, then you can make your own "enhaced" notepad with keys. If you want the guide for making a notepad, there are some tutorials out there like "baby text editor" or something like that.
    Hope this helps

Amalfi Marini
  • TaipanTaipan Posts: 29Member
    : For the transparency, I would use this:
    :
    : http://www.Planet-Source-Code.com/vb/scripts/ShowCode.asp?txtCodeId=5248&lngWId=1
    :
    : This will make the form transparent except the buttons, I haven't tested this one, I tested another one made by the same guy, and does the entire form transparent.
    : For the other thing, you'll need to use something to configure the form in a "Always on top" mode, I don't know how to do this, just search for "visual basic always on top" or something related with zorder. I would recomend to test Setwindowspos API, to know how to use it, go and download the list of APIs at www.allapi.net. If that doesn't work, then you can make your own "enhaced" notepad with keys. If you want the guide for making a notepad, there are some tutorials out there like "baby text editor" or something like that.
    : Hope this helps
    :
    : Amalfi Marini
    :
    Thanks, yeh the transparent code works great. The rest of it I will play with when I get that far. I was only really using notepad as an example, I want the virtual keyboard to work in any program that has key input. Firstly I will build the keyboard first and see how it goes. Thanks again.
  • VRGameSystemVRGameSystem Posts: 1Member
    Sounds like these other guys have your bases covered. It is awesome that you're working with a virtual keyboard (and even programming it nonetheless). If you're really into this sort of thing and perhaps want to see what else is going on in the field of VR and its [link=http://www.amusitronix.com/VR_Home_Systems.php]virtual reality game systems[/link], definitely go get your feet even wetter still.