Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Categories

We have migrated to a new platform! Please note that you will need to reset your password to log in (your credentials are still in-tact though). Please contact lee@programmersheaven.com if you have questions.
Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Binding Keystrokes To Child Windows...

SephirothSephiroth Fayetteville, NC, USAPosts: 1,035Member
OK, I got REALLY bored alst night when my cable wen tout, so I started playing around with my help files and coding somethin I thought would be a joke. I learned TCP/IP in about an hour and now have a chat client that works, but has two minor problems (not networking related).

The first is this. The child window that you enter text in has focus. You type a message to your buddy and press enter. Windows just "dings" and sits there. It will send if you CLICK the send button, but how can I bind the enter key to the send button?

Next, the big edit control that is used to display the chat text starts at the top and goes down. How do I make the chat start at the bottom and go up like in a traditional chat client, such as PIRCH or mIRC?

Thanks for the info, and once I am sure this program works and leaves no back-doors I'll post it online for people to check out.

-[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]

Comments

• bikibiki Posts: 492Member
    [green]Are you using a dialogbox or a window ?

For #1, Dialog, see Q102589
    For #1, Window, trap the WM_KEYDOWN message and process the VK_RETURN key
    For #2, see Q109550 and Q12190 in MSDN

HTH
    ps. no offence, but i've been trying to learn TCP/IP for the last one year! ;)
    [/green]
    [hr][red]~Bikram[/red]

(NTH) = no text here
    [hr][red]~Bikram[/red]

• SephirothSephiroth Fayetteville, NC, USAPosts: 1,035Member
    Windows or Unix/Linux? My code is 100% compilable on all three OSes. I would be happy to share the source with you via email or ICQ if you have either. I don't want it getting out though. Not until I am 100% finished with it and have a completed application to go along with it. The Windows version adds only one variable and two lines of code that turn on winsock for the application. On Unix or Linux you would just not use that var and two lines of code.

-[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]

[green]I was referring to Windows. I don't have a clue about unix! And sure, it'd be great if you're willing to be so generous as to share source code with me! mailto:nv5050@indiatimes.com?subject=SourceCode[/green]
    [hr][red]~Bikram[/red]

• SephirothSephiroth Fayetteville, NC, USAPosts: 1,035Member
    OK, how the )$(&#%)&)(#^&)^#%@^_(!#&*$ do I find that article on MSDN? Microsoft can do NOTHING so $(*&^ing simple. I tried searching for Q12190 and got no results, and there's no article search out in plain view or anywhere to my knowledge. Yes, I harbor a LOT of hatred for MS simply because of the way they operate and the way they can make nothing f(*&(*&ing simple.

Oh by the way, my client and server chat app works except for the chat log, which is why I am looking for that article. Once I get the backlog working I'll send you the client and give you my hostname to check it out, although if anybody is there, it'll just be me!

• veliusvelius Posts: 456Member
    Try going to support.microsoft.com
    [hr]
    When it came down to it I dropped everything and ran.
    -Ramza Final Fantasy Tactics

• pingpongpingpong Posts: 937Member
    Seph,

By default, MSDN search engine does not search the Knowledge Base Articles (QXXXX) stuff. So go to msdn.microsoft.com, click Advanced and check everything.

: OK, how the )$(&#%)&)(#^&)^#%@^_(!#&*$ do I find that article on MSDN? Microsoft can do NOTHING so $(*&^ing simple. I tried searching for Q12190 and got no results, and there's no article search out in plain view or anywhere to my knowledge. Yes, I harbor a LOT of hatred for MS simply because of the way they operate and the way they can make nothing f(*&(*&ing simple.
    :
    : Oh by the way, my client and server chat app works except for the chat log, which is why I am looking for that article. Once I get the backlog working I'll send you the client and give you my hostname to check it out, although if anybody is there, it'll just be me!
    :
    : -[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]
    :
    :