Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

game programming

grind777grind777 Member Posts: 1
I have written a space invaders type program in Qbasic which uses GET and PUT graphics statements in XOR mode. Although not too bad, the program does slow down when the are lots of sprites whizzing about the screen. I once read a program in a magazine for the BBC computer which used assembly language to access an operating system routine to print the graphics more quickly. I would like to pass the x,y screen coordinates of my characters to an assembly language routine which would then display the character at that location. Is there a similar OS call for the PC ? Where can I find out how to use such a call ? Can I do it simply without having to read a complete introductory course in assembly language ?

Comments

• the walrusthe walrus Member Posts: 249
    if you were wanting to use BASIC then PUT is probably the best way to go...there are compilers out there that are made to compile faster, you could look for another BASIC compiler that may work, but that could get annoying; if it doesnt like your code, you make have to revise it some...

assembly language is the basic language that the processor understands...most compilers first compile to assembly and then turn it into an exe from there...assembly is MUCH MUCH faster, but also a lot harder...i doubt you wanna get into it right now, good luck

: I have written a space invaders type program in Qbasic which uses GET and PUT graphics statements in XOR mode. Although not too bad, the program does slow down when the are lots of sprites whizzing about the screen. I once read a program in a magazine for the BBC computer which used assembly language to access an operating system routine to print the graphics more quickly. I would like to pass the x,y screen coordinates of my characters to an assembly language routine which would then display the character at that location. Is there a similar OS call for the PC ? Where can I find out how to use such a call ? Can I do it simply without having to read a complete introductory course in assembly language ?
    :