Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Want to print MAN pages.

ak_anandak_anand Posts: 5Member
Hi friends,

Want to print the man help pages for the basic unix commands like ls,cat,touch etc also i do not have a printer but i have to take the help files on a floppy and get it printed in windows environment configured printer.Now i tried like this.

$man cat >cat.txt
this stored the entire man help of the cat command in the cat.txt
the problem is if i open it in any ascii text editor like vi , gedit ,
advanced text editor(in linux) also in windows like notepad and wordpad
but it is in some other format.I want it to be in a ascii format so that i can print?Plz help!!!!

thanks in advance
Anand.AK

Comments

• mxbattaimxbattai Posts: 4Member
    : Hi friends,
    :
    : Want to print the man help pages for the basic unix commands like ls,cat,touch etc also i do not have a printer but i have to take the help files on a floppy and get it printed in windows environment configured printer.Now i tried like this.
    :
    : $man cat >cat.txt
    : this stored the entire man help of the cat command in the cat.txt
    : the problem is if i open it in any ascii text editor like vi , gedit ,
    : advanced text editor(in linux) also in windows like notepad and wordpad
    : but it is in some other format.I want it to be in a ascii format so that i can print?Plz help!!!!
    :
    : thanks in advance
    : Anand.AK
    :

Are you running the x windows system?
    otherwise you can redirect the output of the screen to the the printer.
    example: $man cat >> /dev/lp0

• GsibberyGsibbery Posts: 11Member
  • Jeff P.Jeff P. Posts: 196Member

man cat | col -b > cat.txt