Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

help getting online

i need help getting online in linux...i have no idea how to get online...what information do i need to get started such as do i need port numbers? and where do i find this info? and i use my computer on a dial up and a cable modem at my other place...is there a way to switch between the two? thanks for the help in advance
cheers

Comments

• jeweljewel Member Posts: 52
    : i need help getting online in linux...i have no idea how to get online...what information do i need to get started such as do i need port numbers? and where do i find this info? and i use my computer on a dial up and a cable modem at my other place...is there a way to switch between the two? thanks for the help in advance
    : cheers
    :

Sorry, if you are referring to Modems, i don't have a clue. But isdn, is pretty easy nowdays. Both PCI and ISA cards.
    There is an exelent isdn howto here: http://www.linuxnorge.com/mal/mal.php3?/internett/ISDN/ISDN_Kernel-2.4.x-en.html
    and a programm called "QTisdnLinux" can be found here: http://www.linuxnorge.com/mal/mal.php3?/utvikling/qtisdnlinux/manual/qtisdnlinux_manual.html

--

Cable modem internet are pretty easy to set up. You did not specify what linux distro you where using, so i can't advice you to some distro-internet-tools. But. Chek freshmeat.net and download "dhcpcd" if your ISP is using the way of dhcp to give out ip's. Next, chek if your nic (Network Interface Card) is "online". ifconfig should return something like this:
    eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:02:A5:26:96:0B
    if not, try this: ifconfig eth0 up. When it's up, its time to compile the dhcp client. this is how:

tar xvzf dhcp*.tar.gz
    cd dhcp*
    ./configure && make && su -c "make install"

The tar command extracts the tar file and puts it in ex. dhcpcd*.
    cd is for "change directory"
    ./configure cheks to see if your system can this programm. && is if ./configure fails, your computer wont start to try to compile dhcpcd. su -c is to execute a command as root in the currect directory youre in. lets hope everything went ok. do this:

./dhcpcd -h youhostname (ex. localhost) eth0

try to ex. ping www.google.com to chek you internet connection,

Good luck

-- Jewel