Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Newb wants to knwo any good programs?

heeroyuyheeroyuy Posts: 125Member
I just bomb'd one of my machines to FreeBSD and have been in heaven for the last three days(I come from windows hehe...not crashing every hour is a nice experience). I was curious if anyone had any suggestions for good programs for freebsd, obviously the basic daemons apache, mail, sendmail, blah blah blah. I'm talking unusual stuff etc. Welp, thanks.

Later,
Heero
-----------------------
"The three principle virtues of a programmer are laziness, impatience, and hubris"

Comments

• gautamgautam Posts: 642Member
    Hi,

Well I have a few on my site for Linux, most should work in BSD. One or two of them time out now and then. Still haven't been able to figure out why and have also not really bothered to look deeper into it.

www.geocities.com/gautamn2000

You could look at freshmeat for BSD programs.

: I just bomb'd one of my machines to FreeBSD and have been in heaven for the last three days(I come from windows hehe...not crashing every hour is a nice experience). I was curious if anyone had any suggestions for good programs for freebsd, obviously the basic daemons apache, mail, sendmail, blah blah blah. I'm talking unusual stuff etc. Welp, thanks.
    :
    : Later,
    : Heero
    : -----------------------
    : "The three principle virtues of a programmer are laziness, impatience, and hubris"
    :

• Djinn1973Djinn1973 Posts: 1Member
    : There is a site called freshports.org that you may want to check out. It has a listing of corrent ports.
    some of the programs that I really like are Mplayer its a program that lets you watch Quicktime and most windows media format (as well as listen to mp3's and play DivX) and will work as a plugin for most browsers. Actually I am using KMplayer so that I can have a GUI.
    Gaim is a nice all around IM client that works with Yahoo, AIM, Irc, Icq and jabber. Thers also RealPlayer 8 runs really sweet and can also be added to your browser.

Hi,
    :
    : Well I have a few on my site for Linux, most should work in BSD. One or two of them time out now and then. Still haven't been able to figure out why and have also not really bothered to look deeper into it.
    :
    : www.geocities.com/gautamn2000
    :
    : You could look at freshmeat for BSD programs.
    :
    :
    : : I just bomb'd one of my machines to FreeBSD and have been in heaven for the last three days(I come from windows hehe...not crashing every hour is a nice experience). I was curious if anyone had any suggestions for good programs for freebsd, obviously the basic daemons apache, mail, sendmail, blah blah blah. I'm talking unusual stuff etc. Welp, thanks.
    : :
    : : Later,
    : : Heero
    : : -----------------------
    : : "The three principle virtues of a programmer are laziness, impatience, and hubris"
    : :
    :