Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Can I accomplish this with Javascript?

TxJessyTxJessy Member Posts: 1
Hi,

I would like to have a form on my website where visitors can enter their info, and then the program will take the information entered and input it into a template I designed, and then the completed template would be displayed for the visitor to view and print. I would eventually like to have it where the visitor could also enter/upload pictures that would also be input into the template for viewing and printing. I hope I'm making some sense here. I've been told this can be done with javascript. Does anyone know if there is anything out there like this already? Or is this something that I will have to try and come up with on my own?

Thanks for your time and help!
Jessy

Comments

• compuchipcompuchip Member Posts: 273
    I think the most of what you want is possible, but if you want to save yourself a hell of a lot of work I suggest you find another programming language to do it :)

: Hi,
    :
    : I would like to have a form on my website where visitors can enter their info, and then the program will take the information entered and input it into a template I designed, and then the completed template would be displayed for the visitor to view and print. I would eventually like to have it where the visitor could also enter/upload pictures that would also be input into the template for viewing and printing. I hope I'm making some sense here. I've been told this can be done with javascript. Does anyone know if there is anything out there like this already? Or is this something that I will have to try and come up with on my own?
    :
    : Thanks for your time and help!
    : Jessy
    :
    :

• locodudelocodude Member Posts: 28
    :
    : I would like to have a form on my website where visitors can enter their info, and then the program will take the information entered and input it into a template I designed, and then the completed template would be displayed for the visitor to view and print. I would eventually like to have it where the visitor could also enter/upload pictures that would also be input into the template for viewing and printing. I hope I'm making some sense here. I've been told this can be done with javascript. Does anyone know if there is anything out there like this already? Or is this something that I will have to try and come up with on my own?
    :
    :
    :

This is clearly a server-side issue and thus shouldn't be attempted with client-side Javascript. I suggest a solution in PHP or ASP. I'd go with PHP but that's just me :)
    ----
    "codito, ergo sum"

• compuchipcompuchip Member Posts: 273
    Yes, the advantage of PHP is that it's easier to combine with HTML, therefor you can easily use the same script for the form and the processing.
    Also, in PHP it's easier to access variables passed by for example your form, and PHP has the powerful option of using sessions, which I sometimes wish would also be implemented in Perl.

BTW: lol @ "codito, ergo sum"

: : Hi,
    : :
    : : I would like to have a form on my website where visitors can enter their info, and then the program will take the information entered and input it into a template I designed, and then the completed template would be displayed for the visitor to view and print. I would eventually like to have it where the visitor could also enter/upload pictures that would also be input into the template for viewing and printing. I hope I'm making some sense here. I've been told this can be done with javascript. Does anyone know if there is anything out there like this already? Or is this something that I will have to try and come up with on my own?
    : : Thanks for your time and help!
    : : Jessy
    :
    : This is clearly a server-side issue and thus shouldn't be attempted with client-side Javascript. I suggest a solution in PHP or ASP. I'd go with PHP but that's just me :)
    : ----
    : "codito, ergo sum"
    :
    :

• gaspardgaspard Member Posts: 14
    :
    :

This could be done with Javascript, but you would need to use DHTML
    and Internet Explorer 5+.
    You'll find the use of DIV tags with id's, and the .innerText,
    and .innerHTML properties will be your friends..
    As well as the .style.visibility property..
    check out:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/author/dhtml/reference/dhtml_reference_entry.asp
    for a decent DHTML reference.

Otherwise, I would suggest using ASP, PHP, or some such, they are exactly
    setup just to do this type of thing (take form inputs, and dynamically
    generate HTML pages from that input..)

I myself am using ASP (VBscript or JScript), and HTML+Javascript for a
    new e-commerce site:
    www.debitgold.biz

hope that answers some of your questions..

-Gaspard

PS: this has doubtlessly been done before, but if you want a custom
    template of how it's gonna look, you need to design that page, and then
    you can worry about plugging in the dynamic elements, with JS or PHP/ASP.