C Development for Windows - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

C Development for Windows

Can anyone recommend a reference for C programming (not C++) on Windows using the Win32 API? I would like to write some applications for Windows 98/ME/2K/XP if possible.

Silly comment, but Freeware would be nice too.

Thanks,

Job

Comments

• swapnelswapnel Posts: 4Member
    : Can anyone recommend a reference for C programming (not C++) on Windows using the Win32 API? I would like to write some applications for Windows 98/ME/2K/XP if possible.
    :
    : Silly comment, but Freeware would be nice too.
    :
    : Thanks,
    :
    : Job
    :
    :
    :
    Hi ,
    There is one book of Microsft Press. I cant remember the title of that book but the author of that book is Charles Petzold.

• DarknezzDarknezz Posts: 245Member
    : Can anyone recommend a reference for C programming (not C++) on
    : Windows using the Win32 API? I would like to write some applications
    : for Windows 98/ME/2K/XP if possible.
    :
    : Silly comment, but Freeware would be nice too.
    :
    : Thanks,
    :
    : Job

This is a very good tuorial on windows programming and taught me the basics about windows programming. The only bad thing is that it's a C++ tutorial, you may be able to use it with C but i'm not sure.
    http://www.winprog.org/tutorial/

Secondly you might want to get your hands on a Win32 API reference. I'm not sure where you can get that from as i managed to get a friend on mIRC to send it to me but it has taught me a lot about windows API programming.
    The one i've got is in the form of a help file called WIN32.hlp, you may be able to find it by doing a search on that.

With the API reference if you're not sure about a certain windows function, class, constant etc you will be able to search the reference and find exactly what you need. If you need an API function that does a certain thing you will be able to run a search on the help file for a word or two and most likely find what you are looking for.

Hope this helps! :)
  • AsmGuru62AsmGuru62 Posts: 6,519Member
    : : Can anyone recommend a reference for C programming (not C++) on
    : : Windows using the Win32 API? I would like to write some applications
    : : for Windows 98/ME/2K/XP if possible.
    : :
    : : Silly comment, but Freeware would be nice too.
    : : Thanks,
    : : Job
    :
    : This is a very good tuorial on windows programming and taught me the basics about windows programming. The only bad thing is that it's a C++ tutorial, you may be able to use it with C but i'm not sure.
    : http://www.winprog.org/tutorial/
    :
    : Secondly you might want to get your hands on a Win32 API reference. I'm not sure where you can get that from as i managed to get a friend on mIRC to send it to me but it has taught me a lot about windows API programming.
    : The one i've got is in the form of a help file called WIN32.hlp, you may be able to find it by doing a search on that.
    :
    : With the API reference if you're not sure about a certain windows function, class, constant etc you will be able to search the reference and find exactly what you need. If you need an API function that does a certain thing you will be able to run a search on the help file for a word or two and most likely find what you are looking for.
    :
    : Hope this helps! :)
    :
    [blue]Win32 API Reference:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/winprog/winprog/functions_by_category.asp[/blue]