help with strings - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

help with strings

GladeGlade Posts: 48Member
Hi there. I have just studied strings and i have encountered a problem.
I have an htmlfile (.html) with some tags. Now, The specification indicates that a tag should always begin with a < on the first character of a line. It follows that if you find spaces before the '<' you should report an error. Any spaces on the right-hand side should be removed. I know i have to use the pos() function but i couldn't get heads or tails from where to start. Can some1 tell me how to do this?

Thanks
Glade

Comments

• jasonpsagejasonpsage Posts: 37Member
    : Hi there. I have just studied strings and i have encountered a problem.
    : I have an htmlfile (.html) with some tags. Now, The specification indicates that a tag should always begin with a < on the first character of a line. It follows that if you find spaces before the '<' you should report an error. Any spaces on the right-hand side should be removed. I know i have to use the pos() function but i couldn't get heads or tails from where to start. Can some1 tell me how to do this?
    :
    : Thanks
    : Glade
    :
    :
    :
    Well, Glade, I'm not exactly Sure Why you can't make heads or tails of the POS function but I'll try to give you some alternative ones that MIGHT help you. I don't claim that these are the most efficient ways to do what they do, but they work for me..so far just fine. You'll see I use ANSISTRINGS (This is tested on 1.0.6 FreePascal from www.freepascal.org which is compatible with most of Borland so I hope this helps)
    FIRST ROUTINE TO HELP YOU (is basically my version of POS):
    CUT BEGIN ------------------------------------------------------------
    [code]
    //=============================================================================
    function i4InStr(p_saSearchMe: AnsiString; p_chSearchFor: char): LongInt;
    // return index to first position where p_chSearchFor is found 0=no find
    var i4Pos: LongInt;
    begin
    i4InStr:=0;
    if length(p_saSearchMe)>0 then
    begin
    i4Pos:=0;
    repeat
    i4Pos+=1;
    if p_saSearchMe[i4Pos]=p_chSearchFor then
    begin
    i4InStr:=i4Pos;
    i4Pos:=0;
    end;
    until (i4Pos=0) or (i4Pos=length(p_saSearchMe));
    end;
    end;
    [/code]
    CUT END ------------------------------------------------------------

-=/Here Is A Routine to help Strip Spaces or whatever/=-
    CUT BEGIN ------------------------------------------------------------
    [code]
    // remove a chunk out of a string p_s: start of cut, p_l:length of cut
    //*****************************************************************************
    function saCut(p_sa: AnsiString; p_s, p_l: LongInt):AnsiString;
    var saTempLeft: AnsiString;
    saTempRight: AnsiString;
    t: LongInt;
    begin
    saCut:=p_sa;
    if (length(p_sa)>0) and (p_s<=length(p_sa)) and
    ((p_s+p_l-1)<=Length(p_sa)) and (p_l<>0) then
    begin
    if p_s>1 then
    begin
    for t:=1 to p_s-1 do saTempLeft:=saTempLeft+p_sa[t];
    end
    else
    begin
    saTempLeft:='';
    end;
    if (p_s+p_l-1)<length(p_sa) then
    begin
    for t:=(p_s+p_l) to length(p_sa) do saTempRight:=saTempRight+p_sa[t];
    end
    else
    begin
    saTempRight:='';
    end;
    saCut:=saTempLeft+saTempRight;
    end;
    end;
    [/code]
    CUT END ------------------------------------------------------------

• GladeGlade Posts: 48Member
    thanks for the help but I would want to use the pos() function for this so that I'd know how to do it. Thanks
    Glade
  • zibadianzibadian Posts: 6,349Member
    : Hi there. I have just studied strings and i have encountered a problem.
    : I have an htmlfile (.html) with some tags. Now, The specification indicates that a tag should always begin with a < on the first character of a line. It follows that if you find spaces before the '<' you should report an error. Any spaces on the right-hand side should be removed. I know i have to use the pos() function but i couldn't get heads or tails from where to start. Can some1 tell me how to do this?
    :
    : Thanks
    : Glade
    :
    Here is a simple code to report the errors in the HTML and remove the spaces. This code takes just 1 line of HTML. You can easily adapt this code to process multiple lines, by for example creating a procedure from it.
    [code]
    begin
    if Pos('<', Line) > 1 then { If position in line is not 1st character }
    writeln('Error in line');
    while Line[Length(Line)]=' ' do { while any spaces at the end of the string }
    delete(Line, Length(Line), 1); { remove it }
    end;
    [/code]