Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

DOS file handles and Microsoft Visual c++ v1.5

nickeynonnickeynon Member Posts: 1
The runtime library for Visual c++ v1.5 limits the number of file handles in a DOS application compiled with it to 20. I have (I think) managed to re-compile the source provided to allow more handles (_NFILE_ in CRT0DAT.ASM) but the program still collapses at 15 (20 less 5 for DOS itself) open files. Any helpful ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Nick

Comments

• stoberstober Member Posts: 9,765 ✭✭✭
    : The runtime library for Visual c++ v1.5 limits the number of file handles in a DOS application compiled with it to 20. I have (I think) managed to re-compile the source provided to allow more handles (_NFILE_ in CRT0DAT.ASM) but the program still collapses at 15 (20 less 5 for DOS itself) open files. Any helpful ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    :
    : Thanks,
    :
    : Nick
    :

The max number of files also need to be set on the computer itself during bootup. It's been quite a few years since I've used MS-DOS, and I don't remember which files are used during bootup. autoexec.bat is one, but there is another -- system.ini or something like that located in the root directory??? Anyway, the startup code of the program checks the system to see how many files handles are available.