Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

RPM installation

MatthewDMatthewD Member Posts: 297
Hi all,

I'm fairly new to Linux. I have installed Mandrake 9.0 with (at least I thought) the development tools. However, the only development tools off the start menu are IDLE, GDB, and Bug Daddy. What I really wanted was KDevelop.

Looking around on the hard drive, I haven't been able to find KDevelop either.

So I checked my installation disks and found KDevelop.rpm. I understand that RPM is a package manager. Doubling clicking brings up the install window and request for Root password, which I supply. And then I get an error regarding dependencies.

Do I have to track down each of these dependencies and install them myself?
Is this the correct way to install programs?
What other advice/info is there for installation (helpful links, too?)
Where might KDevelop already be on my drive (i.e. where should I look?)
Are there other C++ development environments you would recommend over KDevelop?

Thanks in advance,
Matt.

Comments

• jeweljewel Member Posts: 52
    : Hi all,
    :
    : I'm fairly new to Linux. I have installed Mandrake 9.0 with (at least I thought) the development tools. However, the only development tools off the start menu are IDLE, GDB, and Bug Daddy. What I really wanted was KDevelop.
    :
    : Looking around on the hard drive, I haven't been able to find KDevelop either.
    :
    : So I checked my installation disks and found KDevelop.rpm. I understand that RPM is a package manager. Doubling clicking brings up the install window and request for Root password, which I supply. And then I get an error regarding dependencies.
    :
    : Do I have to track down each of these dependencies and install them myself?
    : Is this the correct way to install programs?
    : What other advice/info is there for installation (helpful links, too?)
    : Where might KDevelop already be on my drive (i.e. where should I look?)
    : Are there other C++ development environments you would recommend over KDevelop?
    :
    : Thanks in advance,
    : Matt.
    :
    try rpm -Uvh kdevelop.rpm. If it sais "i need some libs" or "i need some programms", then visit www.rpmfind.net and type in what is needed. Download them, and install them as you would do with any other rpm. what you can do: i do not recomed you doing it, is this: rpm -Uvh kdevelop.rpm --nodeps --force
  • turingturing Member Posts: 5
    For installing rpms:

The BEST tool I have found is synaptic.

Once you get synaptic installed, (in the old way by tracking down all the necessary rpms yourself and installing from command line,), synaptic will track all rpms on your system and permit installation of new ones that you can search for through its interface.

It connects to rpmfind.net, I believe. It's a GREAT utility. I use it on RedHat 8, even though its source distro I think is Debian.

There are some times it behaves sort of flakily, but I think that is because I try to do things I shouldn't, like install from source/install from rpm with --force/etc

-Alex
  • abcabc Member Posts: 443
    [b][red]This message was edited by abc at 2003-4-11 9:26:22[/red][/b][hr]
    : Hi all,
    :
    : I'm fairly new to Linux. I have installed [blue]Mandrake 9.0[/blue] with (at least I thought) the development tools. However, the only development tools off the start menu are IDLE, GDB, and Bug Daddy. What I really wanted was KDevelop.

the keyword here is the blue above, that will make things simpler.
    ok, 2 things:
    1. mdk seem to have a strange approach to installing development packages - most of the times you'll end up discovering something new needs installing
    2. [b][red]you don't need synaptic/apt-get for rpm with mdk![/red] [/b] if you like gui tools use their 'install software' (configuration->packaging, or mandrake control center->software management), but the best method is to do [b]urpmi kdevelop[/b] at the command prompt (urpmi does all the dependency solving for you). of course, root implied (as in su -c urpmi kdevelop for instance)

on a side note, beware of the way they set kdevelop up to depend on old automake/autoconf tools. that can be a pain w/ tarballs that want autoconf2.5x/automake1.5+