Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

how do i make a server with ASP?

hey, what do i need to know to make a server with asp?

Moses 1:39 - "For behold, this is my work and my glory-to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man.

-Troy

Comments

• gnairgnair Posts: 17Member
    I don't think you have a well formed question. One does not make a server with ASP or any language, other than writing one from scratch in C++ or Java usually as HW assignments in CS and Engineering disciplines (which is a chore but does give deeper insight into how web servers work.)
    IIS or PWS are the servers which contain the framework that understand ASP. You get them when you have Win95/98/2000 pro(PWS) or WinNT/2000(IIS).
    Hope that helps,
    Gary

: hey, what do i need to know to make a server with asp?
    :
    : Moses 1:39 - "For behold, this is my work and my glory-to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man.
    :
    :
    : -Troy
    :
    :
    :

• GameTroyGameTroy Posts: 214Member
    i meant how do i make a server program for a webpage. i want to make a chat program and save user-submited information onto a web site and post the new information onto a webpage with other user-submited information (sort of like a message board).
    i hope this is more specific.

Moses 1:39 - "For behold, this is my work and my glory-to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man.

-Troy

• gnairgnair Posts: 17Member
    This is more like a question. The answer is much too large to describe as a one or two paragraph answer. From scratch, you'll need(assumming you really want to learn how to do it properly) have to start with a process flow of your chat room, a diagram that outlines what particular features you want helps(even UML would help here) then assemble the necessary database tables(normalized of course), by the way these should be diagrammed too so you know what you built 6, 9 months down the lines, then begin the process of implementing the process flow diagrams with the UI that users would start with. Then write the ASP scripts, reuse as much as you can using server side includes, keep sessions in mind as your chat users will probably be checking back in from time to time to post messages with short time spans. Also cookies to avsoid having to refill preference information. This is the standard stuff. However, you are in luck, if you visit www.asp101.com under resources, there are pre-built components which have chat rooms already done with test harness ASP scripts that implement them. Take the easy way out, it'll save you lots of hassle(don't worry we call that productivity in the business world)
    Hope that helps,
    Gary

: i meant how do i make a server program for a webpage. i want to make a chat program and save user-submited information onto a web site and post the new information onto a webpage with other user-submited information (sort of like a message board).
    : i hope this is more specific.
    :
    :
    :
    : Moses 1:39 - "For behold, this is my work and my glory-to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man.
    :
    :
    : -Troy
    :
    :
    :
    :