Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

What is the best Linux

Ile give you guys three choices

SuSe
Red Hat
Mandrake

which is the best version...

Comments

• morleronmorleron Member Posts: 4
    [b][red]This message was edited by morleron at 2002-11-20 15:9:10[/red][/b][hr]
    : Ile give you guys three choices
    :
    : SuSe
    : Red Hat
    : Mandrake
    :
    : which is the best version...
    :

Which one is best depends on a variety of factors such as your experience installing OSes, your general level of computer competence, etc. Me, I like RedHat and have used it for years. I originally started with Slackware back in 1992 and have used a couple of others along the way. Mandrake is generally considered to have the easiest install with RH close behind. I'm not sure how flexible mandrake's installer is, with RH you can pick and choose the individual packages you want and really customize your setup. I don't have any direct experience with SuSe, but friends that have tried it have liked. It really seems to be a matter of personal taste; not something to have a religious war over. I think at this point in the evolution of Linux it's fair to say that any of the major distros will do a good job. It's a matter of personal experience and choice which will be "best" for you.

HTH,
    Ron

• rehan2k7rehan2k7 Member Posts: 98
    it would be wise to say suse is designed for muppets redhat for power users and mandrake for desktop / home users i have used all three and found mandrake easy to install, redhat leading the pack in terms of driver database and suse want to make linux in one unitedlinx.

: [b][red]This message was edited by morleron at 2002-11-20 15:9:10[/red][/b][hr]
    : : Ile give you guys three choices
    : :
    : : SuSe
    : : Red Hat
    : : Mandrake
    : : which is the best version...
    :
    : Which one is best depends on a variety of factors such as your experience installing OSes, your general level of computer competence, etc. Me, I like RedHat and have used it for years. I originally started with Slackware back in 1992 and have used a couple of others along the way. Mandrake is generally considered to have the easiest install with RH close behind. I'm not sure how flexible mandrake's installer is, with RH you can pick and choose the individual packages you want and really customize your setup. I don't have any direct experience with SuSe, but friends that have tried it have liked. It really seems to be a matter of personal taste; not something to have a religious war over. I think at this point in the evolution of Linux it's fair to say that any of the major distros will do a good job. It's a matter of personal experience and choice which will be "best" for you.
    :
    : HTH,
    : Ron
    :
    :

• dietrichwdietrichw Member Posts: 29
    I have only used Red Hat and SuSE, I haven't used Mandrake yet. I thought both RH and SuSE had their strong points, Red Hat is easier to install and maybe easier to use and get used to. However I was impressed with some of the powerful tools that come with SuSE, such as SaX, but more importantly Yast. Having Yast has made all the difference for me, and thats why right now I leaning towards SuSE.

: it would be wise to say suse is designed for muppets redhat for power users and mandrake for desktop / home users i have used all three and found mandrake easy to install, redhat leading the pack in terms of driver database and suse want to make linux in one unitedlinx.
    :
    :
    :
    :
    : : [b][red]This message was edited by morleron at 2002-11-20 15:9:10[/red][/b][hr]
    : : : Ile give you guys three choices
    : : :
    : : : SuSe
    : : : Red Hat
    : : : Mandrake
    : : : which is the best version...
    : : Which one is best depends on a variety of factors such as your experience installing OSes, your general level of computer competence, etc. Me, I like RedHat and have used it for years. I originally started with Slackware back in 1992 and have used a couple of others along the way. Mandrake is generally considered to have the easiest install with RH close behind. I'm not sure how flexible mandrake's installer is, with RH you can pick and choose the individual packages you want and really customize your setup. I don't have any direct experience with SuSe, but friends that have tried it have liked. It really seems to be a matter of personal taste; not something to have a religious war over. I think at this point in the evolution of Linux it's fair to say that any of the major distros will do a good job. It's a matter of personal experience and choice which will be "best" for you.
    : : HTH,
    : : Ron
    :
    :