Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Help connecting to Oracle 8i server

deadstonedeadstone Member Posts: 3
Hi,

We have installed an Oracle 8i Server, and we are having trouble connecting to it from other pc's. We have the client tools setup done, now we just want to be able to connect from SQL Plus...

We think we have the tnsoracle.ora and listener.ora files configured correctly, but we cannot get any ODBC connections setup...
We can ping using TNSPing.exe from the server, but NOT from any other PC's

Can anyone help us - we are just getting started with this...

thanks

Philip

Comments

• dannyerldannyerl Member Posts: 20
    Hey, my sugestion is to chek if all the listeners are properly running,
    chek if you've created a service name in the OracleNET then try again and if it doesn't work eliminate the services and create it again but the most important you might review the installation process for errors that might gave you on the instalation of the DB.
    bye
    : Hi,
    :
    : We have installed an Oracle 8i Server, and we are having trouble connecting to it from other pc's. We have the client tools setup done, now we just want to be able to connect from SQL Plus...
    :
    : We think we have the tnsoracle.ora and listener.ora files configured correctly, but we cannot get any ODBC connections setup...
    : We can ping using TNSPing.exe from the server, but NOT from any other PC's
    :
    : Can anyone help us - we are just getting started with this...
    :
    : thanks
    :
    : Philip
    :

• deadstonedeadstone Member Posts: 3
    Hey,

The plot thickens, I can connect from my PC, but we cannot connect from another PC even using the same Net8 configuration...

is there any way I can find out what is different between the two client PC's...

thanks

: Hey, my sugestion is to chek if all the listeners are properly running,
    : chek if you've created a service name in the OracleNET then try again and if it doesn't work eliminate the services and create it again but the most important you might review the installation process for errors that might gave you on the instalation of the DB.
    : bye
    : : Hi,
    : :
    : : We have installed an Oracle 8i Server, and we are having trouble connecting to it from other pc's. We have the client tools setup done, now we just want to be able to connect from SQL Plus...
    : : We think we have the tnsoracle.ora and listener.ora files configured correctly, but we cannot get any ODBC connections setup...
    : : We can ping using TNSPing.exe from the server, but NOT from any other PC's
    : : Can anyone help us - we are just getting started with this...
    : : thanks
    : : Philip
    :
    :

• dreammerchantdreammerchant Member Posts: 23
    : Hey,
    :
    : The plot thickens, I can connect from my PC, but we cannot connect from another PC even using the same Net8 configuration...
    :
    : is there any way I can find out what is different between the two client PC's...
    :
    : thanks
    :
    : : Hey, my sugestion is to chek if all the listeners are properly running,
    : : chek if you've created a service name in the OracleNET then try again and if it doesn't work eliminate the services and create it again but the most important you might review the installation process for errors that might gave you on the instalation of the DB.
    : : bye
    : : : Hi,
    : : :
    : : : We have installed an Oracle 8i Server, and we are having trouble connecting to it from other pc's. We have the client tools setup done, now we just want to be able to connect from SQL Plus...
    : : : We think we have the tnsoracle.ora and listener.ora files configured correctly, but we cannot get any ODBC connections setup...
    : : : We can ping using TNSPing.exe from the server, but NOT from any other PC's
    : : : Can anyone help us - we are just getting started with this...
    : : : thanks
    : : : Philip
    :Hi,
    I am also facing the same problem,I couldn't even connect to the same pc.When i test the configuration using net8, it says no listener available.I don't know how to check for the listener.plese let me know how to test for the listener,whether it is working or not.I am using jdbc to connect to the oracle database,but while getconnection() it throws sql exception saying "SO networking not available.Anybody know the soiolution let me know.

: