Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Categories

We have migrated to a new platform! Please note that you will need to reset your password to log in (your credentials are still in-tact though). Please contact lee@programmersheaven.com if you have questions.
Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

IUSR account fails to log in

Hi!

I'm absolute newby to asp and web programming.
I have a well built-up web site using asp and a database (created in sql server).
In the first step this site logs on the user by asking for a UserID and a Password and cheking it in the database. If this logon succeds, the user can go on using the page otherwise he can't.
I would like to make this page usable, but it is only accessible through the internet, if I give administrator rights to the user IUSR. Otherwise the login fails (even is I give the correct userID and pwd), and I get the following error:

>HTTP 500.100 - Internal Server Error - ASP error
>Internet Information Services
>
>Technical Information (for support personnel)
>Error Type:
>Microsoft VBScript runtime (0x800A01FB)
>An exception occurred: 'Session(...).AuthenticateUser'
>/MwareNet/LoggingUser/Authentication.asp, line 34
>
>Browser Type:
>Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 4.0)
>Page:
>GET /MwareNet/LoggingUser/Authentication.asp

I am using Windows 2000 server with IIS and SQL Server 2000 (enterprise edition).

I would like to know what should I do if I want IUSR to be able to log in and I dont want to give it administrator rights.

Thank you for your help in advance,

Szilard Huber

Comments

• esotericesoteric Posts: 1Member
    Here is what I would do, in IIS create a whole new website and leave the IUSR account alone. Don't alter any of the default settings. From your login page copy the database variables to the session and use that for your authentication.

Its hard to simply type out but if you have a database and a table for users have their login account, password, etc. Validate with the database and if its correct they gain access, if not they don't get in.

Simply have an include file verify the session variable before displaying and if the session has terminated they get rerouted to a login screen or message screen.

The IUSR account really has nothing to do with this process directly. The only time I have messed with this account is to grant access to other machines via the webpage.

Hope this helps
    -Esoteric

: Hi!
    :
    : I'm absolute newby to asp and web programming.
    : I have a well built-up web site using asp and a database (created in sql server).
    : In the first step this site logs on the user by asking for a UserID and a Password and cheking it in the database. If this logon succeds, the user can go on using the page otherwise he can't.
    : I would like to make this page usable, but it is only accessible through the internet, if I give administrator rights to the user IUSR. Otherwise the login fails (even is I give the correct userID and pwd), and I get the following error:
    :
    : >HTTP 500.100 - Internal Server Error - ASP error
    : >Internet Information Services
    : >
    : >Technical Information (for support personnel)
    : >Error Type:
    : >Microsoft VBScript runtime (0x800A01FB)
    : >An exception occurred: 'Session(...).AuthenticateUser'
    : >/MwareNet/LoggingUser/Authentication.asp, line 34
    : >
    : >Browser Type:
    : >Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 4.0)
    : >Page:
    : >GET /MwareNet/LoggingUser/Authentication.asp
    :
    : I am using Windows 2000 server with IIS and SQL Server 2000 (enterprise edition).
    :
    : I would like to know what should I do if I want IUSR to be able to log in and I dont want to give it administrator rights.
    :
    : Thank you for your help in advance,
    :
    : Szilard Huber
    :

• Szilard69Szilard69 Posts: 9Member
    Thank you for your reply!

I have already solved the problem. I have to excuse Microsoft :-) It wasn't their fault, but mine. My program wanted to write to the registry (I wonder why, but it doesn't matter), so I had to give full access permission to the user IUSR on the key it wanted to use.

Sorry for taking your time,

Thanks again for your help,
    Regards,

Szilard