Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Device mode

chick80chick80 Member Posts: 349
I'm beginning to use Direct3D 8 and I have a question about how to choose the device type to use.
I saw that this is done using IDirect3D8::CheckDeviceType, that needs the type of device for the display and for the backbuffer.
Looking in MSDN I found that there are a large number of device types, but I also read this:

"Note that render target formats are restricted to D3DFMT_X1R5G5B5, D3DFMT_R5G6B5, D3DFMT_X8R8G8B8, and D3DFMT_A8R8G8B8."

So, what are the other formats used for?
And how do I choose one of these 4 (apart from the fact that 2 are 16 bits and the other are 32 bits)???

Thanks
nICO

[hr]
[italic]How beautiful, if sorrow had not made Sorrow more beautiful than Beauty itself.[/italic]
JOHN KEATS

Comments

• iDaZeiDaZe Member Posts: 464
    : I'm beginning to use Direct3D 8 and I have a question about how to choose the device type to use.
    : I saw that this is done using IDirect3D8::CheckDeviceType, that needs the type of device for the display and for the backbuffer.
    : Looking in MSDN I found that there are a large number of device types, but I also read this:
    :
    : "Note that render target formats are restricted to D3DFMT_X1R5G5B5, D3DFMT_R5G6B5, D3DFMT_X8R8G8B8, and D3DFMT_A8R8G8B8."
    :
    : So, what are the other formats used for?
    : And how do I choose one of these 4 (apart from the fact that 2 are 16 bits and the other are 32 bits)???
    :
    : Thanks
    : nICO
    :
    : [hr]
    : [italic]How beautiful, if sorrow had not made Sorrow more beautiful than Beauty itself.[/italic]
    : JOHN KEATS
    :
    :

You can check out http://www.andypike.com/tutorials/DirectX8/004.asp and look at the source-code for info on setting those formats. As for info about the formats themselves ... don't try to understand what MicroSoft tells you, just do what you know will work ;-)