Updating multiple columns in a single UPDATE statement - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Updating multiple columns in a single UPDATE statement

DaVillainDaVillain Posts: 4Member
I wish to update the columns of a particular record in a table with values from another table. There would be 5 columns needing their values updated. I would prefer to do it in one statement because it has to run once through a procedure being called in a report button action trigger. Is it possible to do it in a single UPDATE statement? If yes then how?
Many thanx in advance for any attempt to help me with my above mentioned query.

Comments

• MorianoMoriano Posts: 11Member
    : I wish to update the columns of a particular record in a table with values from another table. There would be 5 columns needing their values updated. I would prefer to do it in one statement because it has to run once through a procedure being called in a report button action trigger. Is it possible to do it in a single UPDATE statement? If yes then how?
    : Many thanx in advance for any attempt to help me with my above mentioned query.
    :

Maybe i'm asking you a thing tha you know, but you can do:

update table set col1=(select col1 from table2), col2=(select col2 from table2), ......

Hope this helps

• MrEdMrEd Posts: 180Member
    : : I wish to update the columns of a particular record in a table with values from another table. There would be 5 columns needing their values updated. I would prefer to do it in one statement because it has to run once through a procedure being called in a report button action trigger. Is it possible to do it in a single UPDATE statement? If yes then how?
    : : Many thanx in advance for any attempt to help me with my above mentioned query.
    : :
    :
    : Maybe i'm asking you a thing tha you know, but you can do:
    :
    : update table set col1=(select col1 from table2), col2=(select col2 from table2), ......
    :
    : Hope this helps
    :
    :

If theyre all from the same table, you can just use
    update table
    set a = b, c = d, e = f ...
    from table2