Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Need help on the theroy of an AI in a battle game Games

I just like to see what other peoples opinions are on this.

I recently played a game in which a player flys round a small map.

The map is a horizontal cut of a cavern.

The player must shot the enemy to win.

The ships are subject to the effects of gravity.

There was no computer player.

What rules could you give the computer play to make it effective?

This isn't a homework question. :-) It just sounds like one because I wanted to it clear what I was going on about.

Any theorys?

Comments

• : I just like to see what other peoples opinions are on this.

: I recently played a game in which a player flys round a small map.

: The map is a horizontal cut of a cavern.

: The player must shot the enemy to win.

: The ships are subject to the effects of gravity.

: There was no computer player.

: What rules could you give the computer play to make it effective?

Well, very rarely are computer players subject to precisely the same 'information' and 'control' as the player. What I'd probably do is have the computer player travel a path based on waypoints. That is, they 'head for' a particular point, and when they get there they 'head for' the next point, and so on, in a large circuit, maybe. They can also have multiple paths when they reach a junction so that their path is very complex or even slightly random.

If the computer craft is still subject to the laws of the 'physical model' in the game, then you have to choose your waypoints carefully (so the ship doesn't crash) and also have the smarts to be able to combat the player without crashing. Perhaps there's a 'non-combat' waypoint sequence, and, in each 'cavern' where combat can occur, there is a 'combat' waypoint sequence within the cavern.

To make a computer player which is totally subject to the same effects the player is would require a very smart AI indeed. Most videogames cheat in some way so that it;s challenging but not impossible and that it's practical to implement in code, but I expect the designers make sure this 'cheating' is relatively fair and realistic.