Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Categories

We have migrated to a new platform! Please note that you will need to reset your password to log in (your credentials are still in-tact though). Please contact lee@programmersheaven.com if you have questions.
Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Password folder

Hi,

I have a database in a password folder on a web site. How do I still get the pages to link to the database? Do i just add the username and password to the connection string?

Thanks

Comments

• iDaZeiDaZe Posts: 464Member
    : Hi,
    :
    : I have a database in a password folder on a web site. How do I still get the pages to link to the database? Do i just add the username and password to the connection string?
    :
    : Thanks
    :

What kind of database ? What kind of script-language do you use and how do you want to connect ?
    And what exactly do you mean by "I have a database in a password folder" ?
  • Wheelz24Wheelz24 Posts: 7Member
    : : Hi,
    : :
    : : I have a database in a password folder on a web site. How do I still get the pages to link to the database? Do i just add the username and password to the connection string?
    : : Thanks
    :
    : What kind of database ? What kind of script-language do you use and how do you want to connect ?
    : And what exactly do you mean by "I have a database in a password folder" ?
    :
    I'm using ASP and the site is on a win2k server running IIS 5.1
    The Access Database is in a folder called _private in the root of the website. This folder is passworded to stop casual entry. I want to connect to this database through a ASP connection script. But it says that I don't have permission to do this.

• iDaZeiDaZe Posts: 464Member
    : : : Hi,
    : : :
    : : : I have a database in a password folder on a web site. How do I still get the pages to link to the database? Do i just add the username and password to the connection string?
    : : : Thanks
    : : What kind of database ? What kind of script-language do you use and how do you want to connect ?
    : : And what exactly do you mean by "I have a database in a password folder" ?
    : I'm using ASP and the site is on a win2k server running IIS 5.1
    : The Access Database is in a folder called _private in the root of the website. This folder is passworded to stop casual entry. I want to connect to this database through a ASP connection script. But it says that I don't have permission to do this.
    :
    :

Can you connect to the database if it's in another directory ?
    You probably can, so here's what I think the problem is.
    Your protected directory should have some file telling it that it's protected and should ask for a password ( on Apache it's called .htaccess , I don't know what it's called on IIS )
    Anyway, this file will say something like
    "deny from all"
    You should add something like "allow from " and then webpages on your site should be able to access the database.
    Check http://www.javascriptkit.com/howto/htaccess.shtml for more info on .htaccess ( again, I don't know how IIS handles this, but probably in a simmilair way )