Password folder - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Password folder

Hi,

I have a database in a password folder on a web site. How do I still get the pages to link to the database? Do i just add the username and password to the connection string?

Thanks

Comments

• iDaZeiDaZe Posts: 464Member
    : Hi,
    :
    : I have a database in a password folder on a web site. How do I still get the pages to link to the database? Do i just add the username and password to the connection string?
    :
    : Thanks
    :

What kind of database ? What kind of script-language do you use and how do you want to connect ?
    And what exactly do you mean by "I have a database in a password folder" ?
  • Wheelz24Wheelz24 Posts: 7Member
    : : Hi,
    : :
    : : I have a database in a password folder on a web site. How do I still get the pages to link to the database? Do i just add the username and password to the connection string?
    : : Thanks
    :
    : What kind of database ? What kind of script-language do you use and how do you want to connect ?
    : And what exactly do you mean by "I have a database in a password folder" ?
    :
    I'm using ASP and the site is on a win2k server running IIS 5.1
    The Access Database is in a folder called _private in the root of the website. This folder is passworded to stop casual entry. I want to connect to this database through a ASP connection script. But it says that I don't have permission to do this.

• iDaZeiDaZe Posts: 464Member
    : : : Hi,
    : : :
    : : : I have a database in a password folder on a web site. How do I still get the pages to link to the database? Do i just add the username and password to the connection string?
    : : : Thanks
    : : What kind of database ? What kind of script-language do you use and how do you want to connect ?
    : : And what exactly do you mean by "I have a database in a password folder" ?
    : I'm using ASP and the site is on a win2k server running IIS 5.1
    : The Access Database is in a folder called _private in the root of the website. This folder is passworded to stop casual entry. I want to connect to this database through a ASP connection script. But it says that I don't have permission to do this.
    :
    :

Can you connect to the database if it's in another directory ?
    You probably can, so here's what I think the problem is.
    Your protected directory should have some file telling it that it's protected and should ask for a password ( on Apache it's called .htaccess , I don't know what it's called on IIS )
    Anyway, this file will say something like
    "deny from all"
    You should add something like "allow from " and then webpages on your site should be able to access the database.
    Check http://www.javascriptkit.com/howto/htaccess.shtml for more info on .htaccess ( again, I don't know how IIS handles this, but probably in a simmilair way )