Copy protecting a program

How would one protect programs from being copied and distributed to unauthorized persons?

Comments

• 'Hahaha, that is absolutely NOT possible. Ask the question to MicroShit and they'll propably get stressed out jusy by hearing your question. Why is it soooo easy for me to... have XP illegal??? Office XP illegal?? Well, actually.. I had Office XP for a while (illegal ofcourse) after i deleted the shit again cuz it sucks... Look at your own home collection of illegal stuff. Those companies were not very succesfull in protecting it huh? Then why would you be succesfull?

You got a huge problem is you insist on making 'piracy-free-software'.

Sorry,

: How would one protect programs from being copied and distributed to unauthorized persons?
    :

[HR]
    Gadver, ik wot ha'k hjir no wr?
    [HR]

[GREEN]Anyone cares to translate?[/GREEN]

• DarQ is right. depends on how far you want to go.

you could use a 'DONGLE' // old skool.. but at least it stops 99% of the world from ripping you.

: 'Hahaha, that is absolutely NOT possible. Ask the question to MicroShit and they'll propably get stressed out jusy by hearing your question. Why is it soooo easy for me to... have XP illegal??? Office XP illegal?? Well, actually.. I had Office XP for a while (illegal ofcourse) after i deleted the shit again cuz it sucks... Look at your own home collection of illegal stuff. Those companies were not very succesfull in protecting it huh? Then why would you be succesfull?
    :
    : You got a huge problem is you insist on making 'piracy-free-software'.
    :
    : Sorry,
    :
    :
    : : How would one protect programs from being copied and distributed to unauthorized persons?
    : :
    :
    : [HR]
    : Gadver, ik wot ha'k hjir no wr?
    : [HR]
    :
    : [GREEN]Anyone cares to translate?[/GREEN]
    :
    :

• I know, Im thinking of selling simple math/science programs(extremely simple) for a couple of bucks. Basically its to my fellow students and most of them are simple end-users

P.S. I speak just english and spanish
  • what is "DONGLE"
  • I know, Im thinking of selling simple math/science programs(extremely simple) for a couple of bucks. Basically its to my fellow students and most of them are simple end-users

P.S. I speak just english and spanish

dongle would be too expensive i think. how are you planning to distribute it? if its download you could make them enter uder details on a web site then look at the serial number of the motherboard and put it in a file and compare on each time the app executes.

oh yes, when the app finally installs.. it damages the setup.. so it cant install no more.

just depends how far you really need to

• basically i will transfer program from diskette to their computer.
    I dont know if i can add code to it or bury it so deep that they cant find it in their directory.
    :
    :
    :
    :

• : basically i will transfer program from diskette to their computer.
    : I dont know if i can add code to it or bury it so deep that they cant find it in their directory.

i think you will need a CD for the runtime files? or are you going to let them download them?

going home now
  • I have the program file and its components on a diskette.
    I will install the program onto their computer from the disc.
  • : I have the program file and its components on a diskette.
    : I will install the program onto their computer from the disc.
    :

If you do the same thing as Microsoft, it has to be better than nothing. I believe people can get around it, but I myself don't know how, and allot of other people wouldn't know.

They make you activate the program over the internet, and won't let another person register the program.

• YOu only sell to fellow students? For just a few bucks? Lets say 5 euro's. They propably would not bother to copy if it is cheap enough

: : I have the program file and its components on a diskette.
    : : I will install the program onto their computer from the disc.
    : :
    :
    : If you do the same thing as Microsoft, it has to be better than nothing. I believe people can get around it, but I myself don't know how, and allot of other people wouldn't know.
    :
    : They make you activate the program over the internet, and won't let another person register the program.
    :
    :

[HR]
    Gadver, ik wot ha'k hjir no wr?
    [HR]

[GREEN]Anyone cares to translate?[/GREEN]

• : How would one protect programs from being copied and distributed to unauthorized persons?
    :

Despite the smart comments in this thread, many software developers use license managers to deal with this problem. They can lock the software to the specific machine, or limit the software's functionality, or limit the time for which it will run.

Check out www.easylicenser.com, although this may be more than you need.
  • : How would one protect programs from being copied and distributed to unauthorized persons?

Zen Master speaks:

If an unauthorized copy of a program runs but there is no one there to see it, does it violate the EULA?

If someone would steal a small program from you, what makes you think they would buy it from you if they had to?

Suffering is caused by attachment to desires. Cease desire and suffering shall also cease!

Easy to prevent unauthorized use. Authorize all users!

Time for you to go.

mu.