Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Gaming - where and how do you learn?

Hi, I'm in second year computer programming in college and have taken a great liking to C and C++. The program, however, is now switching its focus away from C/C++ and onto other languages, which is rather disappointing because I want to learn more. I am very interested in the games development aspect, but don't know where to start. My knowledge would still be considered extremely basic to most. If there are any good books or sites please let me know!

shelleykerr@hotmail.com

Comments

• andrewgs73andrewgs73 Member Posts: 95
    : Hi, I'm in second year computer programming in college and have taken a great liking to C and C++. The program, however, is now switching its focus away from C/C++ and onto other languages, which is rather disappointing because I want to learn more. I am very interested in the games development aspect, but don't know where to start. My knowledge would still be considered extremely basic to most. If there are any good books or sites please let me know!
    :
    : shelleykerr@hotmail.com
    :
    www.gametutorials.com
  • Coconut CrabCoconut Crab Member Posts: 8
    Hello,
    I found this book while learning C++. It teaches you C++ by developing games, from simple text games with cout and cin in the first few chapters to graphical games using Windows API and DirectX at the end. The book is called:

C++ Programming for the absolute beginner, by Dirk Henkemans and Mark Lee, published by Premier Press, ISBN: 1-931841-43-8

After you read the book you'll know that there's not too much difference between game programming and normal programming. It's just that most C++ books don't discuss game programming. In my opinion this book is a very good one because of its friendly tone and plenty of information which make learning C++ easier than with any other C++ books. After all, the 2 authors are game designers. They have to know the road of C++ very well to develop successful games. It is also my opinion that this book serves as a very good reference to introductory C++ and Windows programming.

If you already know Windows programming or perhaps even DirectX, take a look at OpenGL(the Quake engine) website. Lots of infomation about 3D graphics and games there:

http://www.opengl.org/

Here's a webpage that have links to other graphing and gameing resources: (don't forget to also check his owen website ^^)

http://reallyslick.demonews.com/links.html

Well hope these information helps. They are the useful resources I've found while trying to learn C++ by myself. If you also know any other such good resources, mind dropping me an e-mail or post below so I can share, too?

Cheers
    Jacks_small_world@yahoo.com

• ShelleybeanzShelleybeanz Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for replies guys! I will be sure to check those sites out right away... Someone also recommended this book to me, once I have a bit of practice... You may want to check it out. Multi-player Game Programming. This book will then walk you through making a massive multi player online game. 3D stuff and all.
    Hi,
    Do you have the ISBN # for that book?

• ShelleybeanzShelleybeanz Member Posts: 7
    : Hi,
    : Do you have the ISBN # for that book?
    :

I will look into that :)
  • AcesOverAcesOver Member Posts: 267
    ISBN: 0761532986,

This is the book. It is DirectX.

cheers
    Aces.
    Thanks, man. ^_^

Coco

• Chris BrownChris Brown USAMember Posts: 4,624 ✭✭

_ | http://forcoder.org | free video tutorials and ebooks about < PHP, Java, JavaScript, Objective-C, PL/SQL, Delphi, R, C, MATLAB, Swift, Visual Basic .NET, Python, Perl, C++, Go, Visual Basic, Assembly, Scratch, Ruby, C# Ada, D, Scheme, Clojure, Julia, Alice, Hack, Erlang, Kotlin, Logo, Fortran, FoxPro, F#, SAS, Scala, COBOL, Crystal, Bash, Transact-SQL, Prolog, Dart, Apex, Lisp, LabVIEW, VBScript, ML, Awk, Rust, Lua, ABAP /> ____