Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Dos help

beyondsocietybeyondsociety Posts: 14Member
I want to run bochs which is a emulator for testing programs. In order to use it, I need a version of a dos boot disk that supports the /s command for system files. I know the win95 command.com supports this, but I am limited to FAT16 as my partition for fdisk for this version.

Is there a way to somehow patch the win95 command.com to support FAT32 which will allow me to use the FAT32 version of fdisk?. If so, how would I do this. If not, would using freedos as a boot disk work for me?

Comments

• beyondsocietybeyondsociety Posts: 14Member
    : I want to run bochs which is a emulator for testing programs. In order to use it, I need a version of a dos boot disk that supports the /s command for system files. I know the win95 command.com supports this, but I am limited to FAT16 as my partition for fdisk for this version.
    :
    : Is there a way to somehow patch the win95 command.com to support FAT32 which will allow me to use the FAT32 version of fdisk?. If so, how would I do this. If not, would using freedos as a boot disk work for me?
    :

I figured out my problem. I downloaded the win95b version which has support for FAT32. I then used hexedit to change the windows 95 messages to windows 98. I then tried to edit io.sys so that I could change the starting message to windows 98. When I copied the io.sys file back to the floppy disk and ran it, it hung!.

It should of worked. Considering I created the floppy disk from a image, would it not work. Is there a way to decompress the .img file so that I can change the io.sys file and then re-add it to the .img file?.

What do you suggest I do?