popup window and parm passing problem ( VB- or JavaScript )

For a web app, I need to create a pop-up window which displays some results of a query which will execute server-side in the asp page to be displayed in the window. The query requires a variable parameter which comes from the calling page. This is for an intranet app running under IE ( no need to deal with Netscape here ). The page in the popup queries a SQL Server db server-side.

What approach is best/easiest for creating this pop-up window ?

I am trying to use showModalDialog with a variable parameter, but the parameter is not received by the asp page opened in the window. I used the showModalDialog method with a literal parameter successfully in a similar case, but not with the variable name, even when forced to be received 'byVal' in the VBScript function which calls showModalDialog ( that calling function is called from a button 'onclick' event which passes a value from a form field, and I know the variable is received from the onclick command ).

I also started trying to use the popup object but do not see how to pass the parameter so the asp code can use it as the window is opened with the asp page.

Any help will be much appreciated.
Paul