Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

what ver of jdk do I need to run applets (plugin or jdk)

RidwaanRidwaan Member Posts: 12
I have jdk ver 1.3 and donloaded the latest plugin (I think I mean I went to sun and dowloaded plugin from there yesterday)

I complile my applet it runs cool in appletviewer but opening it in a html page it says it can't find class whatever.
And why can I run applets that I download eg from programmerheaven.
Is there like a professional ver that I dont Know about that allows you to complile applets and run them in a browser(eg standalone "for lack of better word") I even tryed compiling it with oldjavac and it still does not work please my job is depending on this.

n.b. the class file and the html file are in the same directory so theres no mess up "eg codebase" or is there?

n.b. it will be running in IExplore must I be using netscape or somthing else

Comments

• dzokerdzoker Member Posts: 19
    : I complile my applet it runs cool in appletviewer but opening it in a html page it says it can't find class whatever.

Are you sure your link inside html file is correctly written? Becouse if it says it can't find class..blabla...you should first check that option then. Anyway...Internet Explorer comes with Java Plug-in inside (and so does Windows 2k, XP...with Microsoft Java Virtual Machine).

: And why can I run applets that I download eg from programmerheaven.
    : Is there like a professional ver that I dont Know about that allows you to complile applets and run them in a browser(eg standalone "for lack of better word") I even tryed compiling it with oldjavac and it still does not work please my job is depending on this.

There is no such version as I know...what you really need to view any kind of Java written application/applet...is JRE...Java Runtime Environment...it can be downloaded from http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.1/download.html.

I hope this will help in some way...if not...will try some other solution. ;) Good luck.

/dzoker.

• chamsterchamster Member Posts: 662
    : Anyway...Internet Explorer comes with Java Plug-in inside (and so does Windows 2k, XP...with Microsoft Java Virtual Machine).

Hmmm... MS JVM is dated back to middle of -90's and is compatible with Java 1.1. Chances that the applet you try to execute is non-Swing, non-anything newer than dinosaurs and so on are rather small :-).

: JRE...Java Runtime Environment...it can be downloaded from http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.1/download.html.

Also - watching applets but not coding any is like staying at the airport but not going anywhere. While the above is 100% correct i'd still urge you to download SDK not JRE and try to code your own applets. It's more fun to "kill your own food" :-).

Kind Regards
    Konrad
    ----------------------------
    (+46/0) 708-70 73 92
    chamster@home.se
    http://konrads.webbsida.com

• RidwaanRidwaan Member Posts: 12
    did i get my english wrong again I am making my own applet it just Iam have problems running my own applets in a browser and not anybody else's thats it

: I am making my own applet it just Iam have problems running my own applets in a browser and not anybody else's thats it.

Do you mean that you can:
    a) run other peoples classes ...or...
    b) compile and run other peoples code
    ...but not your own?

Depending on wheter a or b are correct, there will be different approaches so please check that and get back.

Kind Regards
    Konrad
    (+46/0) 708-70 73 92
    chamster@home.se

: Do you mean that you can:
    : a) run other peoples classes ...or...
    : b) compile and run other peoples code
    : ...but not your own?

"A" !!!some what :/ !!!

I can also complile other peoples code"meaning it does complile and will work in appletviewer" but then it wont work in the browser beginning to think there's some kind of bug with my compliler
    dont know how it got there but will try uninstalling and reinstalling
    or getting other "umm Binary or instalation programme" ,dont think this is the prob but what else could it be???

Thanks for seeing this angle to the prob dont think I would have thought of it :)

P.S.
    I think should talk to sun about this prob see if there any known bugs
    Do you think my "P1 100 32mb ram" is the prob? "yes I know I should upgrade but times are tough here in South Africa" I mean it seems I only have a problem comliling applets, and comliling with this machine is well lets just say I have lots of coffee breaks esspecialy when coding in java.

Thanks for your help appreciate it lots.
    : I can also complile other peoples code "meaning it does complile and will work in appletviewer" but then it wont work in the browser beginning to think there's some kind of bug with my compliler

A pretty good guess it this case would be that the error lies outside the compiler. If you can compile the code and run it in an applet viewer, chanses are pretty low that it's the compiler that buggs you. Very low...

: Do you think my "P1 100 32mb ram" is the prob?

Maybe not a problem but irritation momentum :-). Actually, it could be so that your machine is to tired to run both IE and also activate something local. The weird part is that you can see other peoples applets (i assume that it's Swing based ones we're talking)...

Kind Regards
    Konrad
    (+46/0) 708-70 73 92
    chamster@home.se

• beancounterbeancounter Member Posts: 88
    Hello,

Could you give us the html code your using to start the applet. Usually when you get the class not found error it has something to do with the path or the class name you are using to the applet. If it's in a package the class has to be placed in a subdirectory of the package.

If it runs in the viewer I would have to think the problem probably is in the html.

Hope this helps.

• beancounterbeancounter Member Posts: 88
    : Hello,
    :
    : Could you give us the html code your using to start the applet. Usually when you get the class not found error it has something to do with the path or the class name you are using to the applet. If it's in a package the class has to be placed in a subdirectory of the package.
    :
    : If it runs in the viewer I would have to think the problem probably is in the html.
    :
    : Hope this helps.
    :
    :
    Quick follow up.. does it say it can't find your class or some other class? I should have asked before I started spouting off.

According to my friend I did not download the most current verion of from sun and after showing me the the right one my applet worked in the browser Sorry for this silly mistake shoulda read the the fine print.

but now there a new prob Iam writing this applet and would like to have a wider scope of users than just people with the new plugin and asking people to download the new plugin witch could take +-30min I think is a no no. How would I be able to code or complile so that it would run on most user's and is this possible?

THANKS ALL of you for your help.

p.s. You guys shoulda seen how red my face was when my friend told me what was wrong. Sorry again :(
    : ...I did not download the most current verion...

It happens everybody. They tend to release new version pretty often so don't worry about it.

: ...[i] would like to have a wider scope of users... asking people to download the new plugin which take 30minI is a no-no. How would I be able to code so that it would run on most user's?

Yes it is possible. You could do one of the following:
    1) Get new friends (who have broadband hence update often).
    2) Code using classes that are "since 1.2" - you can check the API, it's there.
    3) Code using VJ++ from MS - every Windows machine has it so you'll have no problems with the compability (the version is dated to -100.0.0 though :-)).

I'd recommend #1 (making people update) but #2 is pretty OK too, i guess. You're going to miss all the good stuff but it works.

Kind Regards
    Konrad
    (+46/0) 708-70 73 92
    chamster@home.se