Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Categories

We have migrated to a new platform! Please note that you will need to reset your password to log in (your credentials are still in-tact though). Please contact lee@programmersheaven.com if you have questions.
Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Multiline comments?

vmfedorvmfedor Posts: 28Member
Hi, thanks for reading. :)

I've scoured the docs forever trying to find a way to do multiline comments in Visual Basic. If it doesn't have this feature, Microsoft is sure missing the boat, hahah. ;)

So, if anyone knows how to easily do multiline comments (example, "/*" and "*/" in C/C++ and it's variants), I would be more than grateful. :)

Thanks in advance,
Vince

Comments

• DarQDarQ Posts: 1,625Member
    very very very easy. It can't be done in VB!! The only way is to use ' for each comment line.

: Hi, thanks for reading. :)
    :
    : I've scoured the docs forever trying to find a way to do multiline comments in Visual Basic. If it doesn't have this feature, Microsoft is sure missing the boat, hahah. ;)
    :
    : So, if anyone knows how to easily do multiline comments (example, "/*" and "*/" in C/C++ and it's variants), I would be more than grateful. :)
    :
    : Thanks in advance,
    : Vince
    :

[HR]
    Gadver, ik wot ha'k hjir no wr?
    [HR]

[GREEN]Anyone cares to translate?[/GREEN]

• infidelinfidel Posts: 2,900Member
    : Hi, thanks for reading. :)
    :
    : I've scoured the docs forever trying to find a way to do multiline comments in Visual Basic. If it doesn't have this feature, Microsoft is sure missing the boat, hahah. ;)
    :
    : So, if anyone knows how to easily do multiline comments (example, "/*" and "*/" in C/C++ and it's variants), I would be more than grateful. :)

The only way to "fake" a multiline comment is to use line continuation marks ("_") at the end of comment lines:

[code]
    Private Sub Form_Load()

' this is a multiline comment _
    to show that you have to use _
    silly tricks to accomplish _
    what should be inherent.

End Sub
    [/code]

It has to do with VB's interpreted nature, the compiler basically works with one line at a time. That's why VB notifies you of errors as soon as you hit Enter, where other languages require compilation to find errors.
  • vmfedorvmfedor Posts: 28Member
    Thanks guys. It's disappointing, but I guess I'll have to stick with commenting each line. :)

Thanks again!
    Vince
  • DarQDarQ Posts: 1,625Member
    yo,

congratulation for infidel for his very inventive way of solving this problem!! 100 points for you!:)

: Thanks guys. It's disappointing, but I guess I'll have to stick with commenting each line. :)
    :
    : Thanks again!
    : Vince
    :

[HR]
    Gadver, ik wot ha'k hjir no wr?
    [HR]

[GREEN]Anyone cares to translate?[/GREEN]

and the members of the academy.

: yo,
    :
    : congratulation for infidel for his very inventive way of solving this problem!! 100 points for you!:)

It's only a partial solution to the issue. It doesn't help at all if you're trying to, for example, comment out a particular block of code. I personally never use my example, I find that the block comment buttons are useful enough.
  • paulj59paulj59 Posts: 420Member
    You can select all of the lines and press the block comment button (or uncomment button)
    : and the members of the academy.
    :
    : : yo,
    : :
    : : congratulation for infidel for his very inventive way of solving this problem!! 100 points for you!:)
    :
    : It's only a partial solution to the issue. It doesn't help at all if you're trying to, for example, comment out a particular block of code. I personally never use my example, I find that the block comment buttons are useful enough.
    :

: You can select all of the lines and press the block comment button (or uncomment button)

Yeah, that's what I was talking about.
  • paulj59paulj59 Posts: 420Member
    : : You can select all of the lines and press the block comment button (or uncomment button)
    :
    : Yeah, that's what I was talking about.
    :
    Oh, so you did. Sorry.