Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

A pure dialog app connected to a database?

jacwahjacwah Member Posts: 4
Hi,

Does anyone know if it is possible using a VC++6 wizard to create a purely dialog based application connected (ODBC) to an Access database? Allowing me to switch between dialogs using the CDialog DoModal() function, a much simplier solution.Rather than the usual wizard supplied CMainFrame and having to implement a CMainFrame::SelectView(UINT ViewID) function to switch between windows or dialogs as I have been doing?

Or any tricks to allow you to do this ??
If yes, can you direct me to a useful book/web site.
If no, is there a good reason why you can't do this?

Thanks!!! :-)

Comments

• AsmGuru62AsmGuru62 Member Posts: 6,519
    : Hi,
    :
    : Does anyone know if it is possible using a VC++6 wizard to create a purely dialog based application connected (ODBC) to an Access database? Allowing me to switch between dialogs using the CDialog DoModal() function, a much simplier solution.Rather than the usual wizard supplied CMainFrame and having to implement a CMainFrame::SelectView(UINT ViewID) function to switch between windows or dialogs as I have been doing?
    :
    : Or any tricks to allow you to do this ??
    : If yes, can you direct me to a useful book/web site.
    : If no, is there a good reason why you can't do this?
    :
    : Thanks!!! :-)
    :
    [blue][b]DoModal()[/b] will recreate the dialog from scratch - it cannot switch between dialogs.[/blue]
  • jacwahjacwah Member Posts: 4
    : : Hi,
    : :
    : : Does anyone know if it is possible using a VC++6 wizard to create a purely dialog based application connected (ODBC) to an Access database? Allowing me to switch between dialogs using the CDialog DoModal() function, a much simplier solution.Rather than the usual wizard supplied CMainFrame and having to implement a CMainFrame::SelectView(UINT ViewID) function to switch between windows or dialogs as I have been doing?
    : : Or any tricks to allow you to do this ??
    : : If yes, can you direct me to a useful book/web site.
    : : If no, is there a good reason why you can't do this?
    : : Thanks!!! :-)
    : [blue][b]DoModal()[/b] will recreate the dialog from scratch - it cannot switch between dialogs.[/blue]
    ::
    : [blue][b]Thanks[/b] [/blue]yes you are right, the term switching wasn't technically correct, I want to close one dialog and move onto the next by calling [b]DoModal()[/b].I only ever want one window or dialog active/open at one time.
    I realise that I could use the VC++6 wizard to create a dialog based MFC application, and then open my access database using say an ADO connection by creating an instance of the connection and the recordset objects. However this means generating a lot of extra code and doing quite a bit of grunt work. Perhaps the best answer is to accept the limitations of the VisualC++6 AppWizard and use the [b]SelectView(UINT ViewID)[/b]function. :-)

• Andre YoungAndre Young USAMember Posts: 0

{ http://forcoder.org } free video tutorials and ebooks about | Go Java Objective-C Visual Basic R Swift C++ PL/SQL C# PHP Assembly C Delphi Visual Basic .NET Perl JavaScript Python Ruby MATLAB Scratch Logo Transact-SQL SAS Bash F# Clojure Crystal ML Erlang Julia Hack FoxPro VBScript ABAP Kotlin Lisp Apex LabVIEW COBOL Awk Ada Lua Alice Prolog Dart Scheme D Scala Rust Fortran | _____________