Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Wich distro do people use around here?

jeweljewel Posts: 52Member
[b][red]This message was edited by jewel at 2003-5-22 13:28:42[/red][/b][hr]
what distro? hear, hear

Comments

• SouldrinkerSouldrinker Posts: 143Member
    hmzzz... I'm kind of new to this all (linux), I use SuSE 7.3 on my webservers, but if I'm going to have more time in the future I will look at things like redhat and bsd as well... maybe they are better ;)

best regards,

sebastian mohrenstecher
    executive secretary
    net::allies

www.net-allies.de
    info@net-allies.de

• turingturing Posts: 5Member
    Processor: Athlon XP 1700+
    Video : Geforce3 Ti500
    Audio : SB Live Emu10k1
    Misc : ATI TV Wonder VE
    Printer : Samsung ML-1210
    Scanner : Canon 670U

There are some other devices as well (CD/RW/DVD) all work AMAZINGLY under linux.

I use Redhat 8.0 with synaptic borrowed from debian I guess, for managing rpms. the only problem I have is cron goes off at the wrong times and wine stopped working after a glibc update. up until then I even had kazaa running under wine.

The day I find Maya 4 for Linux, I will format my Windows partition and probably go mad with excitement.
  • BASIC FriendBASIC Friend Posts: 354Member
    [b][red]This message was edited by BASIC Friend at 2003-4-19 22:46:17[/red][/b][hr]
    I've been asked many times what distro is better and I have no clear answer. I prefer slackware, because it is not too bloated and it is highy cofigurable. However, I am sort of lazy (I'm defintly not 31337!), so I like the easy installation of Mandrake 9.x. Still, i don't care for DEs that try to be windows, so my prefered system is slackware 8.1 with the blackbox window manager. Lots of configurating, but once I have the menu loaded with all my favorite apps I'm happy. Right now, I have just one pc with linux. I installed a certain os by microsoft on what was the mandrake machine, but I'll probably take that off and install slackware on it later. The pc I have with linux, has a minimal slackware based distro called Vector < http://www.vectorlinux.com > on it. Vector is great! It has most of the client programs I need. The default browser is opera, so I installed mozilla from the slackware release. Vector's default desktop is icewm with a little known DE called DFM. I didn't care for icewm/DFM so I installed blackbox and translated the icewm menu to it. It also comes with Xfce. I also didn't care for Xfce. Vector would not be a good choice for a server or office machine, but for a home user it's fine.

As far as any distro being better than others, I don't think there are any. Some distros (like Vector) are more minimal, but the kernel is still as capable as the big distros.

• jeweljewel Posts: 52Member
    : [b][red]This message was edited by BASIC Friend at 2003-4-19 22:46:17[/red][/b][hr]
    : I've been asked many times what distro is better and I have no clear answer. I prefer slackware, because it is not too bloated and it is highy cofigurable. However, I am sort of lazy (I'm defintly not 31337!), so I like the easy installation of Mandrake 9.x. Still, i don't care for DEs that try to be windows, so my prefered system is slackware 8.1 with the blackbox window manager. Lots of configurating, but once I have the menu loaded with all my favorite apps I'm happy. Right now, I have just one pc with linux. I installed a certain os by microsoft on what was the mandrake machine, but I'll probably take that off and install slackware on it later. The pc I have with linux, has a minimal slackware based distro called Vector < http://www.vectorlinux.com > on it. Vector is great! It has most of the client programs I need. The default browser is opera, so I installed mozilla from the slackware release. Vector's default desktop is icewm with a little known DE called DFM. I didn't care for icewm/DFM so I installed blackbox and translated the icewm menu to it. It also comes with Xfce. I also didn't care for Xfce. Vector would not be a good choice for a server or office machine, but for a home user it's fine.
    :
    : As far as any distro being better than others, I don't think there are any. Some distros (like Vector) are more minimal, but the kernel is still as capable as the big distros.
    :
    :
    :

Not 100% correct.. 2.4.18-3 (or something similar) from redhat 7.3 is known to be more stable than 2.4.18 vanilla. Also, if i remeber correct, some distros add more hw into the kernel etc..

But dont ask me where i read it, long time and can't remember where :)

But if you feel temped, theese kernels are avalible as srpm's
  • BASIC FriendBASIC Friend Posts: 354Member
    : : [b][red]This message was edited by BASIC Friend at 2003-4-19 22:46:17[/red][/b][hr]
    : : I've been asked many times what distro is better and I have no clear answer. I prefer slackware, because it is not too bloated and it is highy cofigurable. However, I am sort of lazy (I'm defintly not 31337!), so I like the easy installation of Mandrake 9.x. Still, i don't care for DEs that try to be windows, so my prefered system is slackware 8.1 with the blackbox window manager. Lots of configurating, but once I have the menu loaded with all my favorite apps I'm happy. Right now, I have just one pc with linux. I installed a certain os by microsoft on what was the mandrake machine, but I'll probably take that off and install slackware on it later. The pc I have with linux, has a minimal slackware based distro called Vector < http://www.vectorlinux.com > on it. Vector is great! It has most of the client programs I need. The default browser is opera, so I installed mozilla from the slackware release. Vector's default desktop is icewm with a little known DE called DFM. I didn't care for icewm/DFM so I installed blackbox and translated the icewm menu to it. It also comes with Xfce. I also didn't care for Xfce. Vector would not be a good choice for a server or office machine, but for a home user it's fine.
    : :
    : : As far as any distro being better than others, I don't think there are any. Some distros (like Vector) are more minimal, but the kernel is still as capable as the big distros.
    :
    :
    : Not 100% correct.. 2.4.18-3 (or something similar) from redhat 7.3 is known to be more stable than 2.4.18 vanilla. Also, if i remeber correct, some distros add more hw into the kernel etc..
    :
    : But dont ask me where i read it, long time and can't remember where :)
    :
    : But if you feel temped, theese kernels are avalible as srpm's
    :

2.4.18? Vector uses 2.4.20. When I said the kernel was just as capable, I was refering to VectorLinux.
  • fnoyanfnoyan Posts: 103Member
    Do you real want to learn Linux (or UNIX). If so, say goodbye to RedHat..As you sad, it is very easy, like Windowz :P. Slackware is good and I use it ;)

: [b][red]This message was edited by jewel at 2002-10-22 13:14:36[/red][/b][hr]
    : Hi! just to drag a discussion along, i was woundering, wich distro do people tend to use here? I have been switching between debian, slack and redhat for some time now (can't seem to make up my mind ;) wich is 1 year aprox.. I think redhat is best because if you're a linux newbie, you don't have to do anything, also if youre an 31337 linux user (who tends to be lazy :P), you don't have to do anything either. so give me your answers :)
    :
    :