Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

updating multiple data into a database

Dear,

I am developing a portal where user can select links from a list of links stored in a database. The fields are linm,link,tag. The tag is a yes/no field. If the tag is true it will display on the index.asp otherwise It will not display. Now suppose a user wants to change the default listing. The He will click a link where all the options will be displayed and he will choose accordingly. Now I want to update the database accordingly. How can I do that. For a single choice I can do that. Please help.

Bidyut.

Comments

• faustinegeorgefaustinegeorge Posts: 351Member
    "Multiple data" means multiple records or multiple fields ?

: Dear,
    :
    : I am developing a portal where user can select links from a list of links stored in a database. The fields are linm,link,tag. The tag is a yes/no field. If the tag is true it will display on the index.asp otherwise It will not display. Now suppose a user wants to change the default listing. The He will click a link where all the options will be displayed and he will choose accordingly. Now I want to update the database accordingly. How can I do that. For a single choice I can do that. Please help.
    :
    : Bidyut.
    :

• faustinegeorgefaustinegeorge Posts: 351Member
    "Multiple data" means multiple records or multiple fields ?

:
    : I am developing a portal where user can select links from a list of links stored in a database. The fields are linm,link,tag. The tag is a yes/no field. If the tag is true it will display on the index.asp otherwise It will not display. Now suppose a user wants to change the default listing. The He will click a link where all the options will be displayed and he will choose accordingly. Now I want to update the database accordingly. How can I do that. For a single choice I can do that. Please help.
    :
    :

• brownbbrownb Posts: 18Member
    Are the link choices global? or user-specific? If the latter, are those being stored in a separate table? What type of HTML fields are the options on the Option page?

A few ways to skin this asp; you can:
    1. Give your options (on the Option page) meaningful names (eg. opLink1, opLink2,...);
    2. Iterate through your submitted values (For Each val in Request.Form...Next will give you the names of submitted fields) and a. add/update records one at a time(For...UPDATE WHERE link='Link1';...Next), or b. concatenate a string to update all records at once (Next...UPDATE WHERE link in (strLink);).

If your options are checkboxes, only checked items will be submitted to the form.

Schema-wise, I would probably opt to have a link table w/ a link ID and link-specific fields, and a separate table in which to specify which links will be displayed.

:
    :
    :

• bidyutbidyut Posts: 4Member
    Dear,
    multiple records. i.e. from a table it will display the linkname and the tag. If the tag is true the links will be displsyed on the index.asp otherwise it will not dispaly. Now I want to update the tag as choose by the user. say there are 10 links and the user choose five out of them now I want to update these five tag in my table. and it will go back to index.asp and it should show those link only which are seleced by the user.

bidyut.

: "Multiple data" means multiple records or multiple fields ?
    :
    :
    :
    : : Dear,
    : :
    : : I am developing a portal where user can select links from a list of links stored in a database. The fields are linm,link,tag. The tag is a yes/no field. If the tag is true it will display on the index.asp otherwise It will not display. Now suppose a user wants to change the default listing. The He will click a link where all the options will be displayed and he will choose accordingly. Now I want to update the database accordingly. How can I do that. For a single choice I can do that. Please help.
    : : Bidyut.
    :
    :