What does a watch dog timer do? Why do I have to pet it frenquently? - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

What does a watch dog timer do? Why do I have to pet it frenquently?

AntZAntZ Posts: 1Member
I am programming a switch using a SingleStep and I have to disable the watchdog timer on the board when I am debugging. And when my code is running, I have to pet the dog frequently.

What does exactly a watch dog timer do? What kind of issues I have to pay attention when I am dealing with it?

Thank you!

Comments

• jeffpostjeffpost Posts: 316Member
    : I am programming a switch using a SingleStep and I have to disable the watchdog timer on the board when I am debugging. And when my code is running, I have to pet the dog frequently.
    :
    : What does exactly a watch dog timer do? What kind of issues I have to pay attention when I am dealing with it?
    :
    :
    The purpose of a watchdog timer is to get the software's attention if it is not functioning properly. By "petting" it at regular intervals, you are telling the system that everything is running smoothly. If it doesn't get "petted", it's because the main control software has gone out to lunch. The watchdog timer code then takes corrective action, although in many cases, the only possible corrective action is to restart the system.