Dice script - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Dice script

brento73brento73 Posts: 4Member
I'm sure this is simple, but I can't seem to find the solution. What I need is to roll a number of dice(that part I've got down), but to ignore the lowest roll before totalling the rolls.

For instance 3, 5, 6 would be 11, since 3 is ignored

Thanks in advance,

brento73

Comments

• infidelinfidel Posts: 2,900Member
    : I'm sure this is simple, but I can't seem to find the solution. What I need is to roll a number of dice(that part I've got down), but to ignore the lowest roll before totalling the rolls.

My first thought was to store your individual rolls in a list, then write a function like:

[code]
    def SumListExcludeLowest(L):
    L.sort()
    total = 0
    for num in L[1:]:
    total += num
    return total

if __name__ == '__main__':
    print SumListExcludeLowest([4,2,5,1])
    [/code]

This just uses the builtin list.sort() method which orders the values, then you iterate through all list elements after the first one. Piece of cake.