Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Newbie Question

jeremyrharrisjeremyrharris Member Posts: 9
Ok, I have Turbo C++ 4.5 and Visual C++ 5.0. I haven't learned how to use either of them very much but I was focusing on the Turbo C++ because DOS is definitly easier than windows. The book I have called "Object Oriented Programming in C++" starts out on creating windows with the header. But when I run it, it doesn't work. Is this because that header is written for Windows 3.1? I have windows 98. I know it isn't my code error because I type it exactly as it is in the book and then the debugger tells me the error is in the header anyway. Any help?

Comments

• andrewgs73andrewgs73 Member Posts: 95
    : Ok, I have Turbo C++ 4.5 and Visual C++ 5.0. I haven't learned how to use either of them very much but I was focusing on the Turbo C++ because DOS is definitly easier than windows. The book I have called "Object Oriented Programming in C++" starts out on creating windows with the header. But when I run it, it doesn't work. Is this because that header is written for Windows 3.1? I have windows 98. I know it isn't my code error because I type it exactly as it is in the book and then the debugger tells me the error is in the header anyway. Any help?
    :

Try to boot your PC in DOS, not in Windows. It is because
    Turbo C++ is for DOS only. If you want windows programming,
    you shoud use either Borland C++ or Visual C++.

Visual C++ (windows) is a lot more easier than Turbo C++, for
    your information.
  • mfeikmfeik Member Posts: 24
    : : Ok, I have Turbo C++ 4.5 and Visual C++ 5.0. I haven't learned how to use either of them very much but I was focusing on the Turbo C++ because DOS is definitly easier than windows. The book I have called "Object Oriented Programming in C++" starts out on creating windows with the header. But when I run it, it doesn't work. Is this because that header is written for Windows 3.1? I have windows 98. I know it isn't my code error because I type it exactly as it is in the book and then the debugger tells me the error is in the header anyway. Any help?
    : :
    :
    : Try to boot your PC in DOS, not in Windows. It is because
    : Turbo C++ is for DOS only. If you want windows programming,
    : you shoud use either Borland C++ or Visual C++.
    :
    : Visual C++ (windows) is a lot more easier than Turbo C++, for
    : your information.
    :

I would also suggest shying away from dos if you are up-and-coming in C++ programming. If the code you are writing will be used on current windows platforms... well... DOS just isn't the way to go. I think you would do good to follow the prior message's advice and go with Visual C++ (or at the very least - Borland C++)
    Regards
    -Mel

• Justin BibJustin Bib USAMember Posts: 0

_______ ( http://forcoder.org ) free ebooks and video tutorials about | PHP, Visual Basic, C++, Go, Swift, C, PL/SQL, R, Ruby, Visual Basic .NET, Java, JavaScript, Scratch, Assembly, Objective-C, MATLAB, Python, C#, Perl, Delphi Prolog, Crystal, Rust, LabVIEW, Alice, Dart, Ada, Logo, Julia, Transact-SQL, ABAP, COBOL, VBScript, Clojure, Kotlin, Lua, Fortran, FoxPro, F#, Scala, SAS, Apex, Awk, Scheme, Bash, Lisp, ML, Hack, D, Erlang | ___