Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

IIS/PWS Microsoft Windows Xp Home Edition

Hi,
I could use some help here. I'm teaching myself classic asp.

I have found out that MS XP HE doesn't support either IIS or PWS.

Has anyone downloaded these onto an xp home edition and had any luck? Is this possible to do?

all the books that I have teaching how to do the asp go through the process of teaching asp as though you have this on your computer. It is a bit difficult to follow when you dont have the items that they are talking about. I have done the begining test pages and loaded them to a web site that does support the asp and front page. However, I would like to do this the proper way. Upgrading isn't financailly possible for me right now. Any help and guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• dughdugh Member Posts: 1
    : I have found out that MS XP HE doesn't support either IIS or PWS.

Yeah, I found this out myself and I can't believe Microsoft crippled it so that even PWS doesn't run.

Apache does run, however, and I'd recommend using PHP with it unless you absolutely are forced to use ASP.

But there are options for you. See this thread:
    http://www.tek-tips.com/gviewthread.cfm/lev2/4/lev3/31/pid/333/qid/175058

One option not mentioned there is the new and free WebMatrix IDE from www.asp.net. It lets you develop ASP.NET scripts for free without requiring IIS (it has its own built-in server). And they have a link to MSDE if you want a test database that is SQL Server compatible.

Myself though, since I am forced to use ASP and SQL Server for a particular project, I upgraded to XP Pro so that I can use Visual Studio .NET more easily for ASP.NET development.

• c1sissyc1sissy Member Posts: 3
    : : I have found out that MS XP HE doesn't support either IIS or PWS.
    :
    : Yeah, I found this out myself and I can't believe Microsoft crippled it so that even PWS doesn't run.
    :
    : Apache does run, however, and I'd recommend using PHP with it unless you absolutely are forced to use ASP.
    :
    : But there are options for you. See this thread:
    : http://www.tek-tips.com/gviewthread.cfm/lev2/4/lev3/31/pid/333/qid/175058
    :
    : One option not mentioned there is the new and free WebMatrix IDE from www.asp.net. It lets you develop ASP.NET scripts for free without requiring IIS (it has its own built-in server). And they have a link to MSDE if you want a test database that is SQL Server compatible.
    :
    : Myself though, since I am forced to use ASP and SQL Server for a particular project, I upgraded to XP Pro so that I can use Visual Studio .NET more easily for ASP.NET development.
    :

Hi, thanks for your response, I am going to get the upgrade to the xp pro. I know that there are several threads reagarding the "hacking" of the IIS. However I just read also, that this isn't legal to do. So, I have decided not to proceed with that aspect of getting the IIS but to do it the correct way.

Thanks for your time! Very much appreciated!

• c1sissyc1sissy Member Posts: 3
    : : I have found out that MS XP HE doesn't support either IIS or PWS.
    :
    : Yeah, I found this out myself and I can't believe Microsoft crippled it so that even PWS doesn't run.
    :
    : Apache does run, however, and I'd recommend using PHP with it unless you absolutely are forced to use ASP.
    :
    : But there are options for you. See this thread:
    : http://www.tek-tips.com/gviewthread.cfm/lev2/4/lev3/31/pid/333/qid/175058
    :
    : One option not mentioned there is the new and free WebMatrix IDE from www.asp.net. It lets you develop ASP.NET scripts for free without requiring IIS (it has its own built-in server). And they have a link to MSDE if you want a test database that is SQL Server compatible.
    :
    : Myself though, since I am forced to use ASP and SQL Server for a particular project, I upgraded to XP Pro so that I can use Visual Studio .NET more easily for ASP.NET development.
    :
    :
    Hi again, I forgot to mention, though I'm sure you already are aware of this, that the matrix doesn't support the classic asp. I had tried, but this didn't work for it. I do have the matrix on my computer.

I also checked out the apache, however to do classic asp I needed some kind of mod something or other that I couldn't find. So I opted to just upgrade. This way I would have what I needed to do the classic asp.

Thanks again for all of your help. It is greatly appreciated.

• Shawn CarterShawn Carter Member Posts: 0

_____ ( http://forcoder.org ) free ebooks and video tutorials about // Ruby, Delphi, C#, Objective-C, R, Perl, Scratch, Go, PL/SQL, C, Assembly, Swift, Visual Basic, Python, Visual Basic .NET, MATLAB, Java, PHP, C++, JavaScript ML, COBOL, Kotlin, Dart, Logo, Lua, Julia, Awk, ABAP, Lisp, Prolog, FoxPro, Fortran, Crystal, Hack, Rust, SAS, Alice, Transact-SQL, Ada, Scheme, Bash, Apex, Erlang, LabVIEW, Clojure, Scala, VBScript, D, F# // _____________