Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Just starting out...Question regardin Intellisense

Mark DieselMark Diesel Member Posts: 1
Ok,
When I'm coding in VB.NET, if I say for example, e.KeyCode = , I get an intellisense list of enum constants. However, I've noticed in C#, we do not get this feature. Am I missing something or is there another way to accomplish this. Thanks

- MKP

Comments

• chamsterchamster Member Posts: 662
    : When I'm coding in VB.NET, if I say for example, e.KeyCode = , I get an intellisense list of enum constants. However, I've noticed in C#, we do not get this feature. Am I missing something or is there another way to accomplish this. Thanks

It's not so much a feature of VB as a feature of your IDE (presumably Visual Studio). I'm not totally sure i know what feature you have in view but if i'm right in my guess, then, yes, there is such feature in VS even for C#.

Kind Regards
    Konrad
    ----------------------------
    (+46/0) 708-70 73 92
    chamster@home.se
    http://konrads.webbsida.com

• bugshoebugshoe Member Posts: 7
    This is not really true,

every language has it's own "add-in" into the IDE. Meaning that the C# team was responsible for building the C# implementation of VS.NET.

They've focused more on the language and on those features then on the IDE at this stage, but in next version more complex intellisense, better integration with the compiler, etc is promised.

The intellisens is particulary badly supported in vs.net right now.

--
    Patrik Lwendahl
    cshrp.net - "Elegant code by witty programmers"

: They've focused more on the language and on those features then on the IDE at this stage, but in next version more complex intellisense, better integration with the compiler, etc is promised.

Really? So, what's missing in C# compared to VB then? I get the IDE-support already but it sounds like VB offers even more...

Kind Regards
    Konrad
    (+46/0) 708-70 73 92
    chamster@home.se

• bugshoebugshoe Member Posts: 7
    : : They've focused more on the language and on those features then on the IDE at this stage, but in next version more complex intellisense, better integration with the compiler, etc is promised.
    :
    : Really? So, what's missing in C# compared to VB then? I get the IDE-support already but it sounds like VB offers even more...

For one, VB does background compiling all the time, meaning that you get better information about your errors in the code. Also you don't explicity need to recompile for projects referencing each other to see the differences between the builds. That's made automatic.

The intellisens for the VB integration is much better. While C# intellisens still have som bugs and are missing out the "class.property = " semantic, and doesn't automaticly popup for method parameters (if their enums), vb does this ...

There's also no real support for automatic base class / interface member creation. Where you in VB kan choose what you want to override in a drop down box, you at todays date need to write it for yourself in C#..

Not saying that one is better then the other, just stating the differences, and their wast when it comes to the IDE support..

--
    Patrik Lwendahl
    cshrp.net - "Elegant code by witty programmers"

I must have missed all that. It sounds like a clear difference to me. Not because i'd use those things, but it's sure nice to know they are there IF i want them.
    Thanks for enlightning :-).

Kind Regards
    Konrad
    (+46/0) 708-70 73 92
    chamster@home.se

• Andre YoungAndre Young USAMember Posts: 0

_________ < http://forcoder.org /> free ebooks and video tutorials about { Objective-C, C, JavaScript, PHP, C#, Visual Basic, Scratch, Delphi, PL/SQL, Ruby, Swift, Assembly, MATLAB, Go, Java, R, Python, C++, Perl, Visual Basic .NET Rust, Alice, Awk, LabVIEW, Scheme, Scala, Lisp, VBScript, Clojure, Logo, ML, F#, Ada, SAS, Apex, D, Dart, Bash, Kotlin, Erlang, COBOL, Lua, Crystal, ABAP, FoxPro, Transact-SQL, Hack, Fortran, Julia, Prolog } _____