Function problems......

Ok, I am working with making my own custom functions, and I am trying to follow everything I know about programming, but my books provide so liitle support about this.....

Here's my code:
#include
#include
#include
#include
#include
#include
#include
#include

int getMonsterNumber(int cur_level) {
int monster = random(cur_level);
return monster;
}

main() {
randomize();

int level;
int monsterID;

printf ("Input a level less than 10: ");
scanf ("%d
", level);

monsterID = getMonsterNumber(level);

printf ("Your monsterID could be: %d
", monsterID);
delay(1000);
}

Even though I have a bunch of unnessecary includes, that is for later on, when I will need them, and probably add more to that list.

Comments

• not sure what you are trying to achieve here... care to clarify?

: Ok, I am working with making my own custom functions, and I am trying to follow everything I know about programming, but my books provide so liitle support about this.....
    :
    : Here's my code:
    : #include
    :
    : int getMonsterNumber(int cur_level) {
    : int monster = random(cur_level);
    : return monster;
    : }
    :
    : main() {
    : randomize();
    :
    : int level;
    : int monsterID;
    :
    : printf ("Input a level less than 10: ");
    : scanf ("%d
    ", level);
    :
    : monsterID = getMonsterNumber(level);
    :
    : printf ("Your monsterID could be: %d
    ", monsterID);
    : delay(1000);
    :
    :
    : Even though I have a bunch of unnessecary includes, that is for later on, when I will need them, and probably add more to that list.
    :

• : Ok, I am working with making my own custom functions, and I am trying to follow everything I know about programming, but my books provide so liitle support about this.....
    :
    : Here's my code:
    :
    : int getMonsterNumber(int cur_level) {
    : int monster = random(cur_level);
    : return monster;
    :
    : main() {
    : randomize();
    :
    : int level;
    : int monsterID;
    :
    : printf ("Input a level less than 10: ");
    : scanf ("%d
    ", level);
    :
    : monsterID = getMonsterNumber(level);
    :
    : printf ("Your monsterID could be: %d
    ", monsterID);
    : delay(1000);
    :
    :
    : Even though I have a bunch of unnessecary includes, that is for later on, when I will need them, and probably add more to that list.
    :

wha do you wanna do?

• : : Ok, I am working with making my own custom functions, and I am trying to follow everything I know about programming, but my books provide so liitle support about this.....
    : :
    : : Here's my code:
    : : #include
    : : int getMonsterNumber(int cur_level) {
    : : int monster = random(cur_level);
    : : return monster;
    : : }
    : : main() {
    : : randomize();
    : : int level;
    : : int monsterID;
    : : printf ("Input a level less than 10: ");
    : : scanf ("%d
    ", level);
    : : monsterID = getMonsterNumber(level);
    : : printf ("Your monsterID could be: %d
    ", monsterID);
    : : delay(1000);
    : : }
    : : Even though I have a bunch of unnessecary includes, that is for later on, when I will need them, and probably add more to that list.

Sorry I didn't say, had to post in a hurry :) I want to use the function getMonsterNumber to generate a random monster ID between 0 and the user's current level. It just screws up everytime I run it, ie it wont accept inputs, it just disregards all of my keystrokes until I type in 'exit', its not even giving me a warning/error. Am I using functions wrong?
  • : : : Ok, I am working with making my own custom functions, and I am trying to follow everything I know about programming, but my books provide so liitle support about this.....
    : : :
    : : : Here's my code:
    : : : #include
    : : : int getMonsterNumber(int cur_level) {
    : : : int monster = random(cur_level);
    : : : return monster;
    : : : }
    : : : main() {
    : : : randomize();
    : : : int level;
    : : : int monsterID;
    : : : printf ("Input a level less than 10: ");
    : : : scanf ("%d
    ", [red][b]&[/b][/red]level);
    : : : monsterID = getMonsterNumber(level);
    : : : printf ("Your monsterID could be: %d
    ", monsterID);
    : : : delay(1000);
    : : : }
    : : : Even though I have a bunch of unnessecary includes, that is for later on, when I will need them, and probably add more to that list.
    :
    : Sorry I didn't say, had to post in a hurry :) I want to use the function getMonsterNumber to generate a random monster ID between 0 and the user's current level. It just screws up everytime I run it, ie it wont accept inputs, it just disregards all of my keystrokes until I type in 'exit', its not even giving me a warning/error. Am I using functions wrong?
    :
    [blue]Yes. See RED...[/blue]
  • [b][red]This message was edited by Selatos at 2002-10-18 13:5:7[/red][/b][hr]
    ok, it works now, just doesnt return the value correctly. Random generates a number, and then it returns a huge number near '12345'.

• : [b][red]This message was edited by Selatos at 2002-10-18 13:5:7[/red][/b][hr]
    : ok, it works now, just doesnt return the value correctly. Random generates a number, and then it returns a huge number near '12345'.
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :

I'm not familiar with the random() call but iostream also has a rand() function which can be scaled using the modulus operator - %. For example, if you wish to limit your return values try using

returnValue = 1 + rand() % 10; // add 1 because modulus returns 0-9

according to the value you placed in your last message '12345'... the above line of code would cause returnValue to equal 6 (1+5)

the only draw back to using rand() that I am aware of is that while it will appear to generate random numbers, its actually generating psuedo-random numbers. This means that the same sequence of results will be produced everytime you run the program. To prevent this you can 'seed' the srand(time(0)); where time(0) is the seed and is based on the PC's clock and for this you will need to include ctime. Hope this helps.
    -Mel

• The interesting part is that when I printf monster, it shows a number between 0 and level, but when I return it, and printf after returning to main, it makes up 12803, to be specific. I havent found anything in my books about this either.....