Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

I have Linux whut do i need to make a nother boot into windows

TomCollinsTomCollins Member Posts: 22
I have a windows cd 98SE I had to uninstall it to install linux because there were file written at the end of the drive! now i wanto finish and make a boot for Windows But I dont know were to get partitioning software for linux to boot into windows? whut do i have to do?

Comments

• XfactorXfactor Member Posts: 343
    : I have a windows cd 98SE I had to uninstall it to install linux because there were file written at the end of the drive! now i wanto finish and make a boot for Windows But I dont know were to get partitioning software for linux to boot into windows? whut do i have to do?
    :

OK, I have a dual machine that boots Windows 98 and Linux. I'm not sure but I think you have to have the Windows partition at the beginning of the drive so you need to install Windows first. Then you can use the fips program to partition your drive to install Linux. Fips is on your Linux disk. Go to Red Hat's web site and do a search on fips for more information. If you need anything else let me know.

X
  • TomCollinsTomCollins Member Posts: 22
    [b][red]This message was edited by TomCollins at 2002-10-16 18:51:49[/red][/b][hr]

Ok So how do i Delete Linux from my hard drive and reinstall windows?

• abcabc Member Posts: 443
    : [b][red]This message was edited by TomCollins at 2002-10-16 18:51:49[/red][/b][hr]
    :
    : Ok So how do i Delete Linux from my hard drive and reinstall windows?
    :
    presumably the win installer from a bootable cd would know to format partitions to its own liking (i.e fat32 for win98). if not, it can be messy, since win9x wants to install on the first partition of the disk to work. doing it in linux might require another install, if /dev/hda1 cannot be freed or isn't large enough - with appropriate partition selections like putting / on /dev/hda2, doing a mkfs.vfat /dev/hda1, making a boot floppy, installing windows, booting linux from floppy, modifying the config file for lilo or grub to allow for windows booting and reinstalling the bootloader in the mbr (you can skip these last steps if you want to just boot linux from the floppy disk).
    So whut ur saying is i can just restart my comp with the cd in and it should do it all for me?

And if win 98SE wont do it would win 2000 Advanced Server do this job beter?

In other words is there any version of windows that comes with partitioning software like linux does?
  • abcabc Member Posts: 443
    : So whut ur saying is i can just restart my comp with the cd in and it should do it all for me?
    :
    : And if win 98SE wont do it would win 2000 Advanced Server do this job beter?
    :
    : In other words is there any version of windows that comes with partitioning software like linux does?
    :

hmm ... it's been so long since i installed win98SE that i can't really remember what steps it takes - but it should be able to do fdisk and let you set up partitions (at least, it should be able to set up c:). win2k definitely can do it, although the advanced server is a big, bloated and unsecure beast and if you don't plan on using it as a server you're better off using win2kPro ;-) anyway, if you're off reinstalling windoze better make more than one partition - like 4 or 5. here is an idea:

1 - win partition (primary)
    2 - win fat32 partition (in case you install win2k on a ntfs partition; makes transfering files between windows and linux easier since the ntfs support in linux is ok for read, but the write part is usually left out and you might not even have the read one compiler in the kernel - red hat used to leave it out; anyway, for win98SE you can skip this one since you don't have to worry about ntfs)
    3 - linux partition, mounted as /
    4 - linux swap partition (at most double of your ramsize, especially if you have lots of ram)
    5 - linux partition, mounted as /home (if you want to keep your things in case you want to upgrade/change your linux install)

2-5 can be inside an extended partition; use the win2k installer to make them all as fat32 partitions and use the linux installer later on to format them as needed. bear in mind that win2k needs quite a lot of space on the system disk (especially if you're gonna use it and install more software) and the linux / partition might, too.

this is just a suggestion, feel free to experiment on your own ;-)
  • XfactorXfactor Member Posts: 343
    : [b][red]This message was edited by TomCollins at 2002-10-16 18:51:49[/red][/b][hr]
    :

Here is the best way I know of. Load your Linux CD and boot to it. Then go through the installation as far as deleting the Linux partition at the beginning of the drive and adding a DOS or FAT partition at the beginning. While you are at it, you can add a Linux partition after that so you won't even need to do what I said before. (I didn't know you would have to do a complete reinstall of all OS's) After the partitions have been made just exit out of the installation and install windows which will install on the first part of the drive. Then you can do your Linux install.
    Hope this helps.

X
  • garwaingarwain Member Posts: 297
    :
    :
    :
    :
    I would just make a boot disk on another windows machine if one is available, and download a little app called zapdisk.exe It will completely clear the HDD, then you can start the windows installation and let it create the partition(s) and format the drive for you.

Ben Martin :-D
    programmer

Thanks every one this helps me a lot im gonna go try this now so if im not on in a while ull know why lol
    No good i think that my windows cd is screwed up

Is there any version of windows that will set up like linux does (i realy like how linux sets up) u know how it goes threw and makes its partiton on start up?

• GourahariGourahari Member Posts: 1
    ok
    linux can delete dos partition but windows cant delete the linux partition ......ok.
    for ur problem follow the steps carefully...
    1. first boot ur computer by a linux cd .....
    2. delete all linux & dos partitions form the disk-drud partion option.
    3. then reboot ur pc by a win98 startup disk...
    4. now ur hard disk is totally empty , u can create new dos partitions.
    5. then load windows after formatting...

than'Q'..........gourahari