Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

working in holland

leeosleeos Member Posts: 1,212
Darq said this:

"You should come here when you've got you papers and you'll get a job for sure."

Can you get a job if you dont know dutch? Or is the IT industry different? Or if you know dutch you have more of a chance?

What is the score?

Comments

• DarQDarQ Member Posts: 1,625
    Rule #1: Speaking Dutch? Work for you!
    Rule #2: Not speaking Dutch? Learn or get out!

This is the common opinion of the dutch people. Rule #2 came up in the beginning of this year, just before the elections. Pim Fortuyn (Leeos should know him), wanted this to be the future.

Now a days his party is falling apart and our government is falling apart as well because members of his party are starting to argue and call eachother names.

If Pim was not killed before the elections, the party propably would have remained stable.

In the beginning I was about to vote for him but since he died, i started to hesitate because i didn't think the party would make it without him, and see the current result? DarQ is right again!

: Darq said this:
    :
    : "You should come here when you've got you papers and you'll get a job for sure."
    :
    : Can you get a job if you dont know dutch? Or is the IT industry different? Or if you know dutch you have more of a chance?
    :
    : What is the score?
    :

[HR]
    [GREEN]
    roodgebefteblauwebreedbeeldbekbaviaan
    especially for in your kitchen.
    [/GREEN]
    [HR]
    [PURPLE]
    http://www.programmersheaven.com/c/MsgBoard/boardinfo.asp?BoardID=455
    [/PURPLE]
    [HR]

• leeosleeos Member Posts: 1,212
    Thats fair enough. Actually Ive never heard of this Pim guy. Whats gets me about holland is that theres loads of things written in English.

You think this will change in the future?

: Rule #1: Speaking Dutch? Work for you!
    : Rule #2: Not speaking Dutch? Learn or get out!
    :
    : This is the common opinion of the dutch people. Rule #2 came up in the beginning of this year, just before the elections. Pim Fortuyn (Leeos should know him), wanted this to be the future.
    :
    : Now a days his party is falling apart and our government is falling apart as well because members of his party are starting to argue and call eachother names.
    :
    : If Pim was not killed before the elections, the party propably would have remained stable.
    :
    : In the beginning I was about to vote for him but since he died, i started to hesitate because i didn't think the party would make it without him, and see the current result? DarQ is right again!
    :
    :
    : : Darq said this:
    : :
    : : "You should come here when you've got you papers and you'll get a job for sure."
    : : Can you get a job if you dont know dutch? Or is the IT industry different? Or if you know dutch you have more of a chance?
    : : What is the score?
    :
    : [HR]
    : [GREEN]
    : roodgebefteblauwebreedbeeldbekbaviaan
    : especially for in your kitchen.
    : [/GREEN]
    : [PURPLE]
    : http://www.programmersheaven.com/c/MsgBoard/boardinfo.asp?BoardID=455
    : [/PURPLE]
    :
    :

[b][red]This message was edited by DarQ at 2002-10-16 7:9:45[/red][/b][hr]
    No, it will become even worse. I hate speaking English in my own language.
    For instance we take the verb 'to block'. In the networking (ICT) sector this verb is simply converted to Dutch. The base of the verb is still block but the rest of the grammar adds Dutch things to it. Such as: blocken, blocking, geblockt. I think it sucks incredible and i hate it. There IS an real existing translation but still.... Bleeh, we don't have verkoop managers but sales managers.

Rather go to belgium,they even have their own word for computer! Some love the influence of the US but I hate it. Screw the US!! (no offence to US citizens ofcourse).

BTW: Did you know that Turkey will invade Iraq as soon as UN (or propably US) forces attack? Didn't you know? Then you do now!

: Thats fair enough. Actually Ive never heard of this Pim guy. Whats gets me about holland is that theres loads of things written in English.
    :
    : You think this will change in the future?
    :
    :
    : : Rule #1: Speaking Dutch? Work for you!
    : : Rule #2: Not speaking Dutch? Learn or get out!
    : : This is the common opinion of the dutch people. Rule #2 came up in the beginning of this year, just before the elections. Pim Fortuyn (Leeos should know him), wanted this to be the future.
    : : Now a days his party is falling apart and our government is falling apart as well because members of his party are starting to argue and call eachother names.
    : : If Pim was not killed before the elections, the party propably would have remained stable.
    : : In the beginning I was about to vote for him but since he died, i started to hesitate because i didn't think the party would make it without him, and see the current result? DarQ is right again!
    : : : Darq said this:
    : : :
    : : : "You should come here when you've got you papers and you'll get a job for sure."
    : : : Can you get a job if you dont know dutch? Or is the IT industry different? Or if you know dutch you have more of a chance?
    : : : What is the score?
    : : [HR]
    : : [GREEN]
    : : roodgebefteblauwebreedbeeldbekbaviaan
    : : especially for in your kitchen.
    : : [/GREEN]
    : : [PURPLE]
    : : http://www.programmersheaven.com/c/MsgBoard/boardinfo.asp?BoardID=455
    : : [/PURPLE]
    :
    :

[HR]
    [GREEN]
    [/GREEN]
    [HR]
    [PURPLE]
    [/PURPLE]
    [HR]

It would piss me off too. having another language forced upon you.
    but what is done is done.. the british immigrants arrived in america on the mayflower and speedwell... complete with their bad copy of the oxford english dictionary.. and a new place started to form.

did not know about the turkey thing.

: No, it will become even worse. I hate speaking English in my own language.
    : For instance we take the verb 'to block'. In the networking (ICT) sector this verb is simply converted to Dutch. The base of the verb is still block but the rest of the grammar adds Dutch things to it. Such as: blocken, blocking, geblockt. I think it sucks incredible and i hate it. There IS an real existing translation but still.... Bleeh, we don't have verkoop managers but sales managers.
    :
    : Rather go to belgium,they even have their own word for computer! Some love the influence of the US but I hate it. Screw the US!! (no offence to US citizens ofcourse).
    :
    : BTW: Did you know that Turkey will invade Iraq as soon as UN (or propably US) forces attack? Didn't you know? Then you do now!
    :
    :
    :
    : : Thats fair enough. Actually Ive never heard of this Pim guy. Whats gets me about holland is that theres loads of things written in English.
    : : You think this will change in the future?
    : : : Rule #1: Speaking Dutch? Work for you!
    : : : Rule #2: Not speaking Dutch? Learn or get out!
    : : : This is the common opinion of the dutch people. Rule #2 came up in the beginning of this year, just before the elections. Pim Fortuyn (Leeos should know him), wanted this to be the future.
    : : : Now a days his party is falling apart and our government is falling apart as well because members of his party are starting to argue and call eachother names.
    : : : If Pim was not killed before the elections, the party propably would have remained stable.
    : : : In the beginning I was about to vote for him but since he died, i started to hesitate because i didn't think the party would make it without him, and see the current result? DarQ is right again!
    : : : : Darq said this:
    : : : :
    : : : : "You should come here when you've got you papers and you'll get a job for sure."
    : : : : Can you get a job if you dont know dutch? Or is the IT industry different? Or if you know dutch you have more of a chance?
    : : : : What is the score?
    : : : [HR]
    : : : [GREEN]
    : : : roodgebefteblauwebreedbeeldbekbaviaan
    : : : especially for in your kitchen.
    : : : [/GREEN]
    : : : [PURPLE]
    : : : http://www.programmersheaven.com/c/MsgBoard/boardinfo.asp?BoardID=455
    : : : [/PURPLE]
    :
    : [GREEN]
    : roodgebefteblauwebreedbeeldbekbaviaan
    : especially for in your kitchen.
    : [/GREEN]
    : [PURPLE]
    : http://www.programmersheaven.com/c/MsgBoard/boardinfo.asp?BoardID=455
    : [/PURPLE]
    :
    :
    :
    :

Did not know about the turkey thing? Then you do know right now! If Bush does something (which I call) stooopid, other stoopids will do stoopid things as well.. Ha, we live in a world full of morons and shit!

: It would piss me off too. having another language forced upon you.
    : but what is done is done.. the british immigrants arrived in america on the mayflower and speedwell... complete with their bad copy of the oxford english dictionary.. and a new place started to form.
    :
    : did not know about the turkey thing.
    :
    :
    : : No, it will become even worse. I hate speaking English in my own language.
    : : For instance we take the verb 'to block'. In the networking (ICT) sector this verb is simply converted to Dutch. The base of the verb is still block but the rest of the grammar adds Dutch things to it. Such as: blocken, blocking, geblockt. I think it sucks incredible and i hate it. There IS an real existing translation but still.... Bleeh, we don't have verkoop managers but sales managers.
    : : Rather go to belgium,they even have their own word for computer! Some love the influence of the US but I hate it. Screw the US!! (no offence to US citizens ofcourse).
    : : BTW: Did you know that Turkey will invade Iraq as soon as UN (or propably US) forces attack? Didn't you know? Then you do now!
    : : : Thats fair enough. Actually Ive never heard of this Pim guy. Whats gets me about holland is that theres loads of things written in English.
    : : : You think this will change in the future?
    : : : : Rule #1: Speaking Dutch? Work for you!
    : : : : Rule #2: Not speaking Dutch? Learn or get out!
    : : : : This is the common opinion of the dutch people. Rule #2 came up in the beginning of this year, just before the elections. Pim Fortuyn (Leeos should know him), wanted this to be the future.
    : : : : Now a days his party is falling apart and our government is falling apart as well because members of his party are starting to argue and call eachother names.
    : : : : If Pim was not killed before the elections, the party propably would have remained stable.
    : : : : In the beginning I was about to vote for him but since he died, i started to hesitate because i didn't think the party would make it without him, and see the current result? DarQ is right again!
    : : : : : Darq said this:
    : : : : :
    : : : : : "You should come here when you've got you papers and you'll get a job for sure."
    : : : : : Can you get a job if you dont know dutch? Or is the IT industry different? Or if you know dutch you have more of a chance?
    : : : : : What is the score?
    : : : : [HR]
    : : : : [GREEN]
    : : : : roodgebefteblauwebreedbeeldbekbaviaan
    : : : : especially for in your kitchen.
    : : : : [/GREEN]
    : : : : [PURPLE]
    : : : : http://www.programmersheaven.com/c/MsgBoard/boardinfo.asp?BoardID=455
    : : : : [/PURPLE]
    : : [GREEN]
    : : roodgebefteblauwebreedbeeldbekbaviaan
    : : especially for in your kitchen.
    : : [/GREEN]
    : : [PURPLE]
    : : http://www.programmersheaven.com/c/MsgBoard/boardinfo.asp?BoardID=455
    : : [/PURPLE]
    :
    :

[HR]
    [GREEN]
    [/GREEN]
    [HR]
    [PURPLE]
    [/PURPLE]
    [HR]

• lionblionb Member Posts: 1,688 ✭✭
    : Rule #1: Speaking Dutch? Work for you!
    : Rule #2: Not speaking Dutch? Learn or get out!
    :
    : This is the common opinion of the dutch people.

I believe it's common for any country. If you want to live in the country, you have to speak in country oficial languge. I think it's common sence.
    : : Rule #1: Speaking Dutch? Work for you!
    : : Rule #2: Not speaking Dutch? Learn or get out!
    : : This is the common opinion of the dutch people.
    :
    : I believe it's common for any country. If you want to live in the country, you have to speak in country oficial languge. I think it's common sence.

True, but there are exceptions. Lets say if i wanted to go and teach English in China.. I dont think it would be an issue that I cant speak Chinese.

: : : Rule #1: Speaking Dutch? Work for you!
    : : : Rule #2: Not speaking Dutch? Learn or get out!
    : : : This is the common opinion of the dutch people.
    : : I believe it's common for any country. If you want to live in the country, you have to speak in country oficial languge. I think it's common sence.
    :
    : True, but there are exceptions. Lets say if i wanted to go and teach English in China.. I dont think it would be an issue that I cant speak Chinese.
    :
    :
    :
    Right, if somebody invited you to do that temporary, like visiting teacher. But I was not talking about "work in the country". I was talking about "live in the country" in other words, to be citizen of the country.
    : : : : Rule #1: Speaking Dutch? Work for you!
    : : : : Rule #2: Not speaking Dutch? Learn or get out!
    : : : : This is the common opinion of the dutch people.
    : : : I believe it's common for any country. If you want to live in the country, you have to speak in country oficial languge. I think it's common sence.
    : : True, but there are exceptions. Lets say if i wanted to go and teach English in China.. I dont think it would be an issue that I cant speak Chinese.
    Right, if somebody invited you to do that temporary, like visiting teacher. But I was not talking about "work in the country". I was talking about "live in the country" in other words, to be citizen of the country.

I see what your saying... but you work to live not live to work. So at the same time you are living there, be it 1 or 2 years.

Granted. full citizenship is a different matter. When I was asking DarQ about this, its because UK is part of the EU. DarQ can come to UK without a visa and vice versa.

: Granted. full citizenship is a different matter. When I was asking DarQ about this, its because UK is part of the EU. DarQ can come to UK without a visa and vice versa.

Will he get all UK citizen's privilege automatically? I do not think so. He can stay, may be work and pay taxes but how about pension/retirement privilege?