Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Gnome or KDE

D4anielD4aniel Member Posts: 10
Another question from me. What desktop envrionment is best, Gnome or KDE? or is it just a matter of personal taste?
Hope you don't all get sick of another person new to linux asking all sorts of dumb questions. He, at least i am yet another person turning it's back to Microsoft and hoping for better computing using linus.

Comments

• jeweljewel Member Posts: 52
    : Another question from me. What desktop envrionment is best, Gnome or KDE? or is it just a matter of personal taste?
    : Hope you don't all get sick of another person new to linux asking all sorts of dumb questions. He, at least i am yet another person turning it's back to Microsoft and hoping for better computing using linus.
    :
    :

I use kde, gnome is boring. The only gnome who is good is Ximian Gnome at www.ximian.com. But, kde is the best option to pick, if you are a newbie to linux, you will find the kde help system and ease of use good, if you are a programmer, you will find the "kdevelop" package good. Alot of good games, cool skins/mods (whatever you call it), highly configurable, stable etc etc.. Only shame is that its developed with Qt, wich is released under QT Genereal Public License or something like that, and that license is not compatible with GPL. :(
    Anyhow, go for kde, if you don't like it, try gnome and be happy with kde for the rest of your life. But, ofcourse, gnome and kde is not the only option you'we got. Chek www.linux.com and www.freshmeat.net

Good luck :)

• TomCollinsTomCollins Member Posts: 22
    I actually today just asked my self this same question so i decided to reinstall linux with kde and gnome at the same time this makes it so both are avalibol at start up

I found that Gnome is more strait forward and not as easy for noobies and is a whole nother desk top than ude be used to coming from microsoft!

Now on the other hand KDE is verry like any thing u want it to be!
    Wen u start it up it will have the desk top configurations and all and it starts off with the option to make it look and act a bit like microsoft windows (actualy verry user friendly) or u can make it look and act like mac (that config is also a verry nice one) or u can get down to the basics with basic kde desktop actions and a few more options!

So i say if ur a noob then KDE is the way to go But i would reccomend installing gnome also just in case! (because i dont know whut i woulda done with out gnome!
    Manly having gnome around is best if ur a subscriber to red hat network! this is because it has the update thing on ur tool bar at the bottom and allerts u when tere are new updates! KDE doesn't...

But what it all ends up is that its just ur choise But if ur a noobie And i also am! Then i reccomend installing both (just incase)