Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

audiocard

D4anielD4aniel Member Posts: 10
Suse 8 prof seems to recognize my audio card and chipset (ESS ES1978S) and during the setup of this card the test function works. i hear sound, but as soon as i want to save the configuration, the system halts, and i have to reboot. when i don't test and just install, the system halts when KDE or Gnome is starting up.
How can i get it to work?
On the suse website it says that the card is supported.
Hope someone can help me.
many thanks in advance.

Comments

• jeweljewel Member Posts: 52
    : Suse 8 prof seems to recognize my audio card and chipset (ESS ES1978S) and during the setup of this card the test function works. i hear sound, but as soon as i want to save the configuration, the system halts, and i have to reboot. when i don't test and just install, the system halts when KDE or Gnome is starting up.
    : How can i get it to work?
    : On the suse website it says that the card is supported.
    : Hope someone can help me.
    : many thanks in advance.
    :

hmm, do you have rights to read/write to the soundcard? chek ls -la /dev/dsp and find out, if not try to type "man chmod" in a terminal. Have you tried to remove the sound module and see if that works? Why not send an email to suse?

• D4anielD4aniel Member Posts: 10
    by rights, do you mean do i have root rights? Yes, that i have, it's a standalone comp. so i am administrator and user. what do i have to do when i can write to the card?

: hmm, do you have rights to read/write to the soundcard? chek ls -la /dev/dsp and find out, if not try to type "man chmod" in a terminal. Have you tried to remove the sound module and see if that works? Why not send an email to suse?
    :
    :
    :
    :