Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

I need help i cant install files how is this done (and help on wine)

TomCollinsTomCollins Member Posts: 22
I Can't figure out how to install files? .tar .tgz .gzip I just cant figure it out and it is making me verry upset!

Please help me if u can. I have no alternative os Seeing in how i had to delete windows insteat of partitioning because there were files written at the end of the drive and now i cant get windows back!

And one more problem i wanna run wine but i cant find out how no one helps or has topics about it? It came with my redhat linux 7.3 but i cant get it to open i tryed opening it in the termanal but that didnt work! Help!

Comments

• jeweljewel Member Posts: 52
    [b][red]This message was edited by jewel at 2002-10-15 10:5:2[/red][/b][hr]
    : I Can't figure out how to install files? .tar .tgz .gzip I just cant figure it out and it is making me verry upset!
    :
    : Please help me if u can. I have no alternative os Seeing in how i had to delete windows insteat of partitioning because there were files written at the end of the drive and now i cant get windows back!
    :
    : And one more problem i wanna run wine but i cant find out how no one helps or has topics about it? It came with my redhat linux 7.3 but i cant get it to open i tryed opening it in the termanal but that didnt work! Help!
    :

this is quite easy, and is called "compiling from source".. Sounds advanced? nah, quite easy :)... this is how you "unzip" .tar, .tgz files:

tar xvzf file.tar,tgz etc what you want.. when it extracts the files, it will show the process clearly on the screen. now do "cd folder" wich the tar programm created. now, switch to the administrator user by typing "su -" and "./configure; make; make install". When the program is finished compiling, type "programm-name" in the terminal to see if it works.. if not, try to type "program" and press the key TAB wich will show you a list of alternatives.

About wine, i think redhat configures it for you, so just type "wine windowsfile.exe"

Good luck :)

also, type man man into the terminal. Mark, you quit with the key "Q". After that, type in theese things:

man tar
    man bash
    man modprobe
    man make
    man cd
    man ls

• Shawn CarterShawn Carter Member Posts: 0

_______ ( http://forcoder.org ) free ebooks and video tutorials about | Delphi Python Ruby R MATLAB C Swift Visual Basic C# C++ Go PHP PL/SQL Visual Basic .NET Assembly Objective-C JavaScript Java Scratch Perl Lua ABAP Logo Fortran Rust Apex Scheme Scala Erlang FoxPro Transact-SQL Bash VBScript F# Hack SAS Alice Clojure Julia Lisp Kotlin Awk D ML Crystal Prolog Dart Ada COBOL LabVIEW | __________