How do I make "3D-icons", Civilization 2 style?

Hello, how's it going?
I'm making a game (in Liberty Basic 3.01) with 3D-icons like those in Civilization 2, they look like 3D but perhaps they aren't in a formal sense, etc... Anyway, this is my theory:

First draw a 3D-style icon grid on screen (looking like Civilization 2),
with horisontal and slanted (about 30 deg. etc) icon borders, like so:

--------

--------
<------- Icon (Hmm... I hope this will appear in mono-
-------- spaced font!)

Then, in the code, visualize a normal straight-angle icon grid (not drawn on screen). Read MouseX and MouseY to determine which "straight" icon the mouse is over by dividing the MouseX & MouseY by the icon size (48x48 etc). But to get the *3D-icon* number we need to offset the MouseX coordinate we have by a certain amount depending of the MouseY, and so find out witch 3D-icon the user clicked on screen (i.e. slant the straight angle icon grid...).
Does this make any sense? Is there a better/easier way of doing it? Any example code to get?
Thanks
/Apa

Comments

• : Hello, how's it going?
    : I'm making a game (in Liberty Basic 3.01) with 3D-icons like those in Civilization 2, they look like 3D but perhaps they aren't in a formal sense, etc... Anyway, this is my theory:

I have not seen the Civ2 icons, but from what it sounds like the easiest way to do this (The way I would do this) is use 3dmax/maya, make a little grid/house/person/whatever in 3d, then make an animation of them rotating/animating, etc, and output that into a gif/multiple images ready for you to load into your game (Kinda like a Windows cursor). This is probably the easiest way to make stuff look 3d in a 2d engine. They use this technique in Fallout, Diablo, Sim City 2000 etc.