Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

optimizing programs made in other programming languages

rai_netrai_net Member Posts: 51
I've heard that it is possible to use the assembly programming language to get programs made in other languages (such as C/C++ for example) and fine tune them to make them run faster, be more reliable, have smaller sizes, et cetera.

I was wondering how this is done and what programs I should use to do this. I've been told before that all I need is a dissasembler and an assembler, if so which ones are the most popular.

Also is possible (or even legal) to fine tune other applications not made by myself such as games, office suites, et cetera?

rai_net

Comments

• Josh CodeJosh Code Member Posts: 675
    : I've heard that it is possible to use the assembly programming language to get programs made in other languages (such as C/C++ for example) and fine tune them to make them run faster, be more reliable, have smaller sizes, et cetera.
    :
    : I was wondering how this is done and what programs I should use to do this. I've been told before that all I need is a dissasembler and an assembler, if so which ones are the most popular.
    :
    : Also is possible (or even legal) to fine tune other applications not made by myself such as games, office suites, et cetera?
    :
    : rai_net
    :

C++ and c has something called built in assembly. That means you can use something like _asm {} to start using assembly in the c++ program. You can do this to optimize your programs. You might lose some portability to other platforms, though.

Disassembling and reassembling programs is more difficult. Also, if you wanted to change some c or c++ code in the program, you would have the optimizations in the program anymore.

Usually programs like office suites say in the agreements when you buy them that you aren't to disassemble or reverse engineer the software. That probably means it is illegal to do so. It is possible to do it, though. What really matters is that you don't try giving or selling your optimized versions to other people.

• rai_netrai_net Member Posts: 51
    : : I've heard that it is possible to use the assembly programming language to get programs made in other languages (such as C/C++ for example) and fine tune them to make them run faster, be more reliable, have smaller sizes, et cetera.
    : :
    : : I was wondering how this is done and what programs I should use to do this. I've been told before that all I need is a dissasembler and an assembler, if so which ones are the most popular.
    : : Also is possible (or even legal) to fine tune other applications not made by myself such as games, office suites, et cetera?
    : : rai_net
    :
    : C++ and c has something called built in assembly. That means you can use something like _asm {} to start using assembly in the c++ program. You can do this to optimize your programs. You might lose some portability to other platforms, though.
    :
    : Disassembling and reassembling programs is more difficult. Also, if you wanted to change some c or c++ code in the program, you would have the optimizations in the program anymore.
    :
    : Usually programs like office suites say in the agreements when you buy them that you aren't to disassemble or reverse engineer the software. That probably means it is illegal to do so. It is possible to do it, though. What really matters is that you don't try giving or selling your optimized versions to other people.
    :

I am using Microsoft Visual C++ 7 and when you set the properties for your projects it gives you the ability to output the assembly code of the compiled project, is it possible to get this code optimize it and then run it through an assembler? If so do you have any recommendations as to which assembler I should be using?

rai_net
  • Josh CodeJosh Code Member Posts: 675
    : : : I've heard that it is possible to use the assembly programming language to get programs made in other languages (such as C/C++ for example) and fine tune them to make them run faster, be more reliable, have smaller sizes, et cetera.
    : : :
    : : : I was wondering how this is done and what programs I should use to do this. I've been told before that all I need is a dissasembler and an assembler, if so which ones are the most popular.
    : : : Also is possible (or even legal) to fine tune other applications not made by myself such as games, office suites, et cetera?
    : : : rai_net
    : : C++ and c has something called built in assembly. That means you can use something like _asm {} to start using assembly in the c++ program. You can do this to optimize your programs. You might lose some portability to other platforms, though.
    : : Disassembling and reassembling programs is more difficult. Also, if you wanted to change some c or c++ code in the program, you would have the optimizations in the program anymore.
    : : Usually programs like office suites say in the agreements when you buy them that you aren't to disassemble or reverse engineer the software. That probably means it is illegal to do so. It is possible to do it, though. What really matters is that you don't try giving or selling your optimized versions to other people.
    :
    : I am using Microsoft Visual C++ 7 and when you set the properties for your projects it gives you the ability to output the assembly code of the compiled project, is it possible to get this code optimize it and then run it through an assembler? If so do you have any recommendations as to which assembler I should be using?
    :
    : rai_net
    :

Masm32 is probably the best assembler for that.
  • Shawn CarterShawn Carter Member Posts: 0

_______ ( http://forcoder.org ) free video tutorials and ebooks about [ Scratch Visual Basic .NET Swift C++ Go MATLAB Assembly C# Objective-C PL/SQL Perl Ruby Python Visual Basic JavaScript Java C Delphi R PHP VBScript Rust Apex Bash Transact-SQL Julia Erlang Lua Crystal ABAP Prolog Hack Fortran Scheme Clojure COBOL F# Lisp ML LabVIEW Kotlin D Awk Scala Ada Dart SAS FoxPro Alice Logo ]