Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

store result of system() in variable?

iavett00iavett00 Posts: 3Member
I'm still a little new to perl, so please forgive my ignorance. I'm trying to test for the time on a specific date. I would like to just execute the unix command date from a perl script and then store the results of date in a variable. However, when I run 'system(date);' the date prints out. If I try setting a variable equal to 'system(date);' I merely get the return value.

Does anyone know how to store the results of a system() command in a variable?

Thanks alot,

Isaac

Comments

• XfactorXfactor Posts: 343Member
    : I'm still a little new to perl, so please forgive my ignorance. I'm trying to test for the time on a specific date. I would like to just execute the unix command date from a perl script and then store the results of date in a variable. However, when I run 'system(date);' the date prints out. If I try setting a variable equal to 'system(date);' I merely get the return value.
    :
    : Does anyone know how to store the results of a system() command in a variable?
    :
    : Thanks alot,
    :
    : Isaac

You don't need to use the system command. You can execute any command with the backticks `
    Try this:

$var = `date`;
    This should help.
    X