store result of system() in variable? - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

store result of system() in variable?

iavett00iavett00 Posts: 3Member
I'm still a little new to perl, so please forgive my ignorance. I'm trying to test for the time on a specific date. I would like to just execute the unix command date from a perl script and then store the results of date in a variable. However, when I run 'system(date);' the date prints out. If I try setting a variable equal to 'system(date);' I merely get the return value.

Does anyone know how to store the results of a system() command in a variable?

Thanks alot,

Isaac

Comments

• XfactorXfactor Posts: 343Member
    : I'm still a little new to perl, so please forgive my ignorance. I'm trying to test for the time on a specific date. I would like to just execute the unix command date from a perl script and then store the results of date in a variable. However, when I run 'system(date);' the date prints out. If I try setting a variable equal to 'system(date);' I merely get the return value.
    :
    : Does anyone know how to store the results of a system() command in a variable?
    :
    : Thanks alot,
    :
    : Isaac

You don't need to use the system command. You can execute any command with the backticks `
    Try this:

$var = `date`;
    This should help.
    X