Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

graphics library for c/c++

DantyDanty Member Posts: 322
Is 'openGL' the way to go for programming graphics?

Comments

• AsmGuru62AsmGuru62 Member Posts: 6,519
  • DariusDarius Member Posts: 1,666

"We can't do nothing and think someone else will make it right."
    -Kyoto Now, Bad Religion

• PAGPAG Member Posts: 168
    gone !?! what u mean by "gone", hell u sayin my last year was just a waste of time???? argh..
  • DantyDanty Member Posts: 322

Hi, openGL's website says that it is cross-plateform compatiable. Where as directX is not!!

So what you guys say?
  • DariusDarius Member Posts: 1,666
    :
    :
    : Hi, openGL's website says that it is cross-plateform compatiable. Where as directX is not!!
    :
    : So what you guys say?
    :
    Let's put it this way. For general graphics programming it's hands down OpenGL. For GAME programming alone, then it's a toss-up with a lean toward DirectX. Part of that has to do with the fact that most games target Win32, but that will slowly (or not so slowly) change. For consoles, I have no clue. I'd imagine that the only one that uses DirectX MAY be the XBox, otherwise, I'd imagine they have proprietary specialized libraries (or maybe they do use OpenGL, or maybe there's a de facto console graphics library standard). As you can tell, I can't tell you much about that.

"We can't do nothing and think someone else will make it right."
    -Kyoto Now, Bad Religion

• pingpongpingpong Member Posts: 937
    I say I dont care!

Isnt there an open-source project for emulating DirectX on linux? Part of WINE maybe?

:
    :
    : Hi, openGL's website says that it is cross-plateform compatiable. Where as directX is not!!
    :
    : So what you guys say?
    :

• abcabc Member Posts: 443
    hopefully there will be an opengl2.0 version soon enough and that will put it back on par with directx ;-) meanwhile use vendor extensions to achieve comparable effects.
  • Andre YoungAndre Young USAMember Posts: 0

______ | http://forcoder.org | free video tutorials and ebooks about [ Ruby, C++, R, Go, Python, Delphi, Perl, C#, PL/SQL, Swift, Scratch, MATLAB, JavaScript, Visual Basic .NET, Objective-C, Visual Basic, PHP, Java, C, Assembly COBOL, LabVIEW, Awk, ABAP, Logo, Dart, FoxPro, Scheme, Transact-SQL, Hack, Fortran, F#, D, Apex, Bash, Prolog, Rust, Kotlin, VBScript, Julia, ML, Lua, Erlang, Crystal, Lisp, SAS, Ada, Scala, Alice, Clojure ] ____________