linking a flash information to asp - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

linking a flash information to asp

Can anyone help me on how to send information and get reply back from an asp server script to a flash movie? What should i write on my asp server script?

Comments

• ASPgalASPgal Posts: 3Member
    : Can anyone help me on how to send information and get reply back from an asp server script to a flash movie? What should i write on my asp server script?
    : Lets say you wanted to call an ASP to check if a product existed on a DB and if it did you wanted to return the Description of that product :-

1.Write your asp to do the lookup and retrieve the description etc for a product based on an incoming querystring. Make sure that your asp writes nothing out except a return string in the format of Field=value&field2=value so your output string from asp might resemble found=false,desc=test%20Product - you can test you asp in any browser to make sure that it works and that this is all that is returned.

2.In you Actionscript write
    Loadvariables("HTTP://yourhttpaddress/aspName.asp?Product="+_root.Product,"_root"); on say frame (keyFramE) 1.

3.Leave Frame 2 blank but make it a keyframe

4.Make frame 3 a keyframe and type the following actionscript
    if (_root.Found=="true") {
    gotoAndPlay("Found")
    }
    elseif (_root.Found=="false") {
    gotoAndPlay("NotFound")
    }
    else {gotoandPlay(2);}

What this does is loop between frame 2 and 3 until it receives a response back from the asp. All variables read in from the asp are referencable by the variable name preceed by _root, hence _root.Found

Also if you setup a dynamic text field on a frame and give it a variable name of Description then that field will automatically contain the description returned from the ASP.

I think you should be able to follow this example if you have reasonable knowledge of both ASP and Actionscript. Hope it helps.