Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Getting despaired

gustavosserragustavosserra Member Posts: 201
How do I learn all that complicated stuff like dlls, hardware functions, threads, etc. Im a computer science student, and I read
a lot! But the only things I now are a lot of functions(and I dont know even how they really work).
Please someone help me!

Comments

• Lyme3Lyme3 Member Posts: 57
    : How do I learn all that complicated stuff like dlls, hardware functions, threads, etc. Im a computer science student, and I read
    : a lot! But the only things I now are a lot of functions(and I dont know even how they really work).
    : Please someone help me!
    :

I'm going to assume you are coding in C++. If all you know is functions, you have a good bit of learning to do yet. If you have some extra money try these books: "The C++ Programming Language", by: Bjarne Stroustrup (creator of C++) and "C++ How to Program" by: Deitel & Deitel. They won't teach you threads and such, they are great resources. Your best bet for dlls and such is to search the web, and find people who know how to do it and convince them its in their best interest to teach you =) Good luck!

-Matt
  • DariusDarius Member Posts: 1,666
    : : How do I learn all that complicated stuff like dlls, hardware functions, threads, etc. Im a computer science student, and I read
    : : a lot! But the only things I now are a lot of functions(and I dont know even how they really work).
    : : Please someone help me!
    : :

Do you want to know how they work on the inside, how they work conceptually, or do you just want to know how to use them?

Making and using a DLL is pretty trivial. Typically it's just an option in the IDE or a compiler switch.

I don't know what you mean by 'hardware functions', many functions access the hardware.

Threads are also pretty straightforward (it's avoiding deadlock and race conditions efficiently that isn't). All you need to know is the function to call, as there isn't a C/C++ standard thread function. You have some options. You can either learn a portable thread implementation and learn how to use one thread library and never worry about others, or you can learn what the OS specifically provides and have to learn a new thread library if you ever change OSes (or need to program for another OS). Though, for basic threading, all of the thread libraries are pretty much the same. You call a function passing a function pointer and that's pretty much it.

"We can't do nothing and think someone else will make it right."
    -Kyoto Now, Bad Religion

• gustavosserragustavosserra Member Posts: 201
    Thanks!!! I do not have the money, but the university has a incredible library and I am almost shure that these books are there
    "all that complicated stuff" is... all that things that people like you and me MUST know. Something more than the simple programmers...
    I want to study the "low level" things.

: Thanks!!! I do not have the money, but the university has a incredible library and I am almost shure that these books are there
    :

Heh, being able to use low level functions doesn't make you any better than a 'simple' programmer. Knowing all those things is great, but, with technology as it is today its much more important to set up a good framework for learning. Because, you are going to be doing a lot more learning than writing thread libraries =)
    Its an interesting point of view... but Im already working with high level languages: Java. So, I want learn C/C++ low level just for mantain balance.
    : Its an interesting point of view... but Im already working with high level languages: Java. So, I want learn C/C++ low level just for mantain balance.
    :
    Well, if you are looking for only very low level stuff try ASM =) Thats about as low as you can get =)
    Ill learn ASM in the fourth semester... :)).
    But not so "low stuff" right now :)).
    But thanks a lot!
  • Andre YoungAndre Young USAMember Posts: 0

____ \ http://forcoder.org \ free ebooks and video tutorials about || Scratch, Java, R, Visual Basic, PHP, Visual Basic .NET, JavaScript, C, Go, Objective-C, Ruby, Assembly, C++, Swift, MATLAB, C#, PL/SQL, Delphi, Perl, Python Hack, Ada, ML, Clojure, SAS, Lua, F#, Scala, Bash, Rust, Kotlin, Awk, VBScript, Alice, Fortran, COBOL, Erlang, LabVIEW, Crystal, Lisp, D, Scheme, Apex, Prolog, Logo, Transact-SQL, Dart, Julia, ABAP, FoxPro || ____