Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Crash. Many windows programs get Page Fault

I'm running Windows 95 on a Intel Pentium MMX 233. Few weeks ago I installed FreePascal on my HD. I couldn't run most of it's tools because I was getting Page Fault errors. I reinstalled my Windows and it's still the same. Now I see that a game I'm playing on that computer for 5 years is getting the same error. Now when I think of it I remember that my toshiba laptop running on Windows 98 has stopted executing all dos4gw programs (what ends with General Protection Fault) even if they worked before.

Do you have any idea what may cause that problem (except that all M$ products sucks) ?

Comments

• Sephiroth2Sephiroth2 Member Posts: 423
    : I'm running Windows 95 on a Intel Pentium MMX 233. Few weeks ago I installed FreePascal on my HD. I couldn't run most of it's tools because I was getting Page Fault errors. I reinstalled my Windows and it's still the same. Now I see that a game I'm playing on that computer for 5 years is getting the same error. Now when I think of it I remember that my toshiba laptop running on Windows 98 has stopted executing all dos4gw programs (what ends with General Protection Fault) even if they worked before.
    :
    : Do you have any idea what may cause that problem (except that all M$ products sucks) ?
    :
    Well, it could simply be that your memory is broken. Try running the program outside of Windows and see if the problem persists. If it does, then that's probably the case and you must replace your memory.
  • SephirothSephiroth Fayetteville, NC, USAMember Posts: 1,035
    Uhm, one thing I see right off bat. You DID format your drive before re-installing Windoze, right? If not there's a 99.99% chance that's one of the big problems. Never isntall an OS over another, even the same.

-[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]

• PrzemekG_PrzemekG_ Member Posts: 595
    The dos4gw programs work fine on dos.

I didn't format the HD but I removed all programs (including c:windows). I only left my files and the windows install. I couldn't format the HD because my CD-ROM is down, and I couldn't save my data (~2GB or sourcecode and some compiler's installs).

• AsmGuru62AsmGuru62 Member Posts: 6,519
    : The dos4gw programs work fine on dos.
    :
    : I didn't format the HD but I removed all programs (including c:windows). I only left my files and the windows install. I couldn't format the HD because my CD-ROM is down, and I couldn't save my data (~2GB or sourcecode and some compiler's installs).
    :
    :
    [blue]Explain what is [b]windows install[/b]? C:WINDOWS [b]IS[/b] a system... I do not get it, so how do you run it?[/blue]
  • PrzemekG_PrzemekG_ Member Posts: 595
    : : The dos4gw programs work fine on dos.
    : :
    : : I didn't format the HD but I removed all programs (including c:windows). I only left my files and the windows install. I couldn't format the HD because my CD-ROM is down, and I couldn't save my data (~2GB or sourcecode and some compiler's installs).
    : [blue]Explain what is [b]windows install[/b]? C:WINDOWS [b]IS[/b] a system... I do not get it, so how do you run it?[/blue]

I have the entire Win95 CD-ROM on my HD in c:InstallWin95. I removed everything from my HD (except c:MyData, c:InstallWin95 and c:command.com) when I was in DOS. After that "cd c:InstallWin95" and "setup.exe".

I don't know which part you don't understand.
  • Justin BibJustin Bib USAMember Posts: 0

_____ ( http://forcoder.org ) free ebooks and video tutorials about / C#, Java, Ruby, Delphi, Objective-C, C, C++, Perl, Scratch, Visual Basic, Visual Basic .NET, JavaScript, Assembly, PHP, MATLAB, PL/SQL, Swift, Python, R, Go Lisp, Lua, Awk, SAS, D, FoxPro, Prolog, ML, Kotlin, VBScript, ABAP, Dart, Julia, Bash, Clojure, Ada, Fortran, Hack, Erlang, COBOL, F#, LabVIEW, Scheme, Alice, Apex, Logo, Transact-SQL, Scala, Rust, Crystal / _____________